• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Thoughts on new truck

DTro

Question

I think the planets have finally aligned and I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on a truck.

For discussion sake let's use these numbers for a reference:

Budget of 20K or less (less is always better wink.gif)

Married with no kids

Drive approx 15-20k/yr

Small alum 14ft boat

No other toys to haul around yet (possible 4 wheeler purchase later this year)

4x4 for sure

I'm thinking I would like an outside box (non SUV) for the unmentionables that a catfisherman totes around wink.gif

I'm leaning heavily towards a double cab Tacoma. I've also eyed a few Ford Explorer Sportracs. The options/creature comforts you can get on a domestic vehicle blows away the Tacoma. On the other hand, none of my Toyotas have seen the repair shop yet.

I haven't ruled out a fullsize truck. Is the MPG gain worth the sacrifice in space?

Obviously this will have to be a used vehicle with my budget.

Opinions?

• Answers 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• DTro

• Big Dave2

• jltimm

• hanson

Top Posters For This Question

>>For the guys who have extended cabs-->Do you wish you would have bought a 4 door?

No. I like to put my truck in my garage, and I like at least a 6 foot bed. The two just don't work out with a 4 door. I've got a Chevy extended cab. I have plenty of storage under the backseat, and I can fit three grown men in the back if I have to, two comfortably. I can open the back doors and front doors and load/unload/reshuffle stuff from both the front and back seats without doing a pirouette around the back door. I wouldn't get a quad, the extended cab fits me better, plus they just look cooler, like a coupe is to a sedan. grin.gif

YOu can get 3 grown men in the back seat comfortably. The funny thing is you're not the one ridig in the back. If you were you would think different. I'm 6'1" and I can tell you no extended cab is comfortable to ride in for very long. Especially once you ride in a Quad cab. Maybe if you're friends are little people it would be fine.

You guys are all refering to "quad cab" as a huge cab.

The dodge quad cab is no more than an extended cab with 4 REAL DOORS. They open from the outside, not suicide doors.

Dodge does make a mega cab, that is the one that all of your friends will want you to drive them to red lake in.

I am no Dodge salesman and I like all the brands but it just sounds like you are in a similar situation as me and I think that for the money I bought the perfect truck. Not too big, not too small but just right. IMO you should at least go down to your local Dodge dealer and take a look at what I mean.

And BTW, you can buy a new truck for under $24,000, or at least you could in '04 but I think there are still deals like that now.

Big Dave-

What kind of gas mileage are you getting with your Ram?

Every rumor I've ever heard is the mileage is not so good and the Hemi powered Rams are even worse. At $2.45/gallon, I hope I can get more than 12-13. Notice I said rumor, would like to hear some real world testimonials.

What I am talking about is a Ford or Chevey which I believe the technical name is called a Super Crew. Maybe you can buy a Dodge for $24,000 but I gaurantee you can not buy a new 07 Chevy Super Crew for that price. I checked with many dealers and quoted other dealer prices to each dealer. I know of all the "Kick Backs/Inentives" as of four months ago. The lowest price I found on the Chevy I wanted was $27,500. You could probably get it a little lower for a stipped down version.

I must be missing something. A new truck for under $24,000? You gotta be talking mid-size or extremely stripped down full size. I'll jump for joy in a couple years to replace my 01 for anything under 40.

In Saturday's Strib there was an ad (forget the dealer) for a new '07 Dodge Quad Cab for $23,990. Stickered for around $35k less dealer discount and $5k rebate.

This past fall you could get new '06 Quad Cabs for $23k new on close out.

Ford Supercrews were going for $24k-25k for '06 closeouts. The new '07s are now going for $27k. All these prices include cash rebates in lieu of low interest financing.

If you don't mind the old body style you can get $3,000 cash back on '06 Tundras, too. Rarely will you see that big a rebate on a Toyota!

DB

Last spring ('06) a friend of mine bought a new '05 leftover from the previous year for around $19K.

Yes it is unlikely you will get a new '07 Crewcab 4wd with all the bells and whistles in your price range. Duh. SO lets stop making that comment. The point I made and others is that a savvy shopper can find a new leftover or lightly used truck for a fair price ans you can still get all the options you want.

I have an 04 Dodge 1500 quad cab, 5.7 hemi. I get approx 15 mpg (everyday driving) 12-13 mpg pulling the boat (1750 Crestliner Fishhawk) and I have gotton up to 19 on long trips. I am happy with the milage, I also considered smaller trucks (I had a Dakota before this) but the milage really doesn't seem to be much better. Like they say "you wanna play, you gotta pay". Good luck with your purchase. I would definitely check your Dodge dealer, they have 0% and some great deals from time to time.

A few random thoughts on the subjects discussed above....

A guy I work with just bought a new 2006 Dodge 4 x 4 crew cab (not mega cab) that is not loaded and but not stripped down for $22,000. It does not have a hemi.

Last fall my wife and I bought a 2006 Durango Limited with a hemi. Its a very nice rig and has every option except a sunroof. I would never buy another Durango with a hemi. The hemi is big-time overkill and the mileage is brutal. She gets between 12-13 mpg. Granted most of the miles are city miles between school, the grocery store, our daughters dance lessons etc. We can get 17-18 on the highway on long trips if we keep it under 65 MPH. I believe I would go with the smaller 4.7 L V-8 next time.

When we bought the Durango we were also looking at the new 2007 Tahoe. At the time there was little to no discounts on the Tahoe. Comparably equipped the Durango cost $18,000 less then the Tahoe. And yes, I realize the Tahoe is slightly larger vehicle than the Durango.

Lastly, the latest issue of Motor Trend compares the new 2007 Silverado versus the ful-sized Toyota. The new Silverado edged out the Toyota in the comparison. Generally MT is very tough on most GM and Ford products. Not that you should use Motor Trends judgment when buying a vehicle. Just something I thought I would throw out.

That's funny that Motortrend said that cause Edmunds online said the Toyota was better than the Chevy and the Nissan Titan.

Thanks for the great discussion. A lot to think about.

I have the green light as long as it's not a GM product........ the better half has drawn a line in the sand, and I'm not going to push my luck, if you know what I mean grin.gif

*insert dress comment here*

anyways, I've gone back and forth and really still leaning towards the Tacoma.

Problem is that there are only a handful to choose from in my budget, so I decided to throw the 4Runner into the mix as well.

I'll be driving a few different vehicles here shortly, and I'll let you know the results.

Tacomas are very hard to find and usually when you do find one, its the fully loaded version that cost about as much as a Tundra. A 4runner is nice but they are costly. I have a 00 runner and the best I have gotten on the highway is 28 mpg. I usually get 21-25 highway driving and 16-19 city driving. But my motor is the old 3.4 V6. I don't know how the new 4.0 V6 mileage is.

Is that 4 Runner a 2WD? If you actually got 28 MPG with it and it's 4WD, I'm impressed! Best I've got with my 97 Tacoma 4X4 with 3.4 ltr and auto tranny is 22 MPG.

Quote:

I have an 04 Dodge 1500 quad cab, 5.7 hemi. I get approx 15 mpg (everyday driving) 12-13 mpg pulling the boat (1750 Crestliner Fishhawk) and I have gotton up to 19 on long trips. I am happy with the milage, I also considered smaller trucks (I had a Dakota before this) but the milage really doesn't seem to be much better. Like they say "you wanna play, you gotta pay". Good luck with your purchase. I would definitely check your Dodge dealer, they have 0% and some great deals from time to time.

I get the exact same fuel mileage as CrappiesNeyes

4 door Tacoma, nice! They only draw back is the size of the box. On the other hand the 4 Runner maybe has about the same amount or slightlty less. On the other hand the box is open and you wouldn't have to worry about something spilling or stinking up the interior!

Yeh my 4runner is 4wd. I only got 28 mpg a few times. I usually think it is a fluke. I get consistant 25-26 for highway driving though. The 4runner Limiteds have transmission lock up torque converters, which lock up with the motor in cruising situations, like the highway. This means less power from the motor is used turning the tranny. Most Tacoma's didnt come with this feature and I notice their mpg are lower.

Quote:

Wow, I hope to get that kind of mileage. Any advise, so far I love the rig, but a trip the the metro cost a half tank! (@ $2.40 a gallon)

07 Ram 5.7 Hemi Quad shortbox. 12-13 on a good day. 26 gallon tank, 300 miles if I really watch it (that equals 11.5 MPG).

Those figures are City and Intestate 35 (40+ one way Interstate miles) driving. I only have 300 some miles on it, so hopefully the rings seat REALLY well and it improves.

river-rat4

Quote:

07 Ram 5.7 Hemi Quad shortbox. 12-13 on a good day. 26 gallon tank, 300 miles if I really watch it (that equals 11.5 MPG).

Those numbers are more in line with what a few guys I work with are getting with theirs.

I've never heard the word "Dodge" and "good mileage" in the same sentence unless you are talking diesel.

Dad had a hemi 5.7 when they were introduced and the truck was lucky to get 12mpg empty. Also the scheduled maintanance hurt too, really expensive tune-ups every 30K miles(?), if I recall. He got rid of the truck...but it was reliable.

Funny thing about milage, I had a 2002 Ford F350 powerstroke. Well it would get about 10 going up to Red Lake pulling my house. Now I took two trips with my 2007 F350 Diesel & it gets 10 pulling my house. My brother has a 1997 F250 & he always says that he gets 15 pulling his house. Well last trip up & back we ran together & when we filled up he used the same amount of fuel as I did? I wonder if some guys think it makes them a better person if there truck gets better milage? HAHA

I don't particularily care for dodge, and really you won't save much mileage on the 4.7L V8 than the hemi, because the Hemi shuts down to 4 cyclinders on the highway when not towing.

Also, right now 1500 ram quad cabs come with a $5000 retail incentive, if you lease it, you get $1000 more.

I don't really think I have to "say my truck gets better milage to make myself a better person" Those are the honest #'s I get with my truck. I drive 25 miles each way to work and some city driving and the "average is 15.5. Maybe its the gear ratio or my driving style but those are the #'s I get. By the way my truck does not have the MDS that shuts the 4 cylinders down. It runs on 8 all of the time.

I tend to think it is quite a bit driving style thing. The harder you accelerate and more stop and go driving you do the worse it is gonna get.

I have never personally talked to anyone that had a Dodge truck that was happy with the gas economoy. That was the reason I went with Ford, that and I have some pretty bad things about the trannys too.

Quote:

Quote:

Wow, I hope to get that kind of mileage. Any advise, so far I love the rig, but a trip the the metro cost a half tank! (@ $2.40 a gallon)

Those figures are City and Intestate 35 (40+ one way Interstate miles) driving. I only have 300 some miles on it, so hopefully the rings seat REALLY well and it improves.

river-rat4

Your mileage should improve with time, especially with the hemi. They are known for providing poor mileage during the first few thousand miles then it should improve slightly. mine did.

Quote:

I tend to think it is quite a bit driving style thing. The harder you accelerate and more stop and go driving you do the worse it is gonna get.

I have never personally talked to anyone that had a Dodge truck that was happy with the gas economoy. That was the reason I went with Ford, that and I have some pretty bad things about the trannys too.

1st of all the tranny problem that some Dodge trucks had was addressed and fixed many years ago. That problem was with the older style trucks back in the early to mid 90's.

Second of all, when I buy a truck I buy it because I want the power to do the things that a truck should do. I get around 14 mpg everyday driving and up to 19 mpg on long trips up north when I am not pulling the boat or anything. Most every full size truck I know gets around 15 mpg everyday driving. Is 1 mpg enough to be a deal breaker on a good tough, powerfull truck? Not to me, especially when it was the most reasonably priced truck in its class. You have to save a lot of money on fuel to justify paying 2, 3 or up to $5,000 more for the initial price of the truck not to mention the extra finance charges on that money.

For someone that wants a good, tough, dependable truck, wants 4-doors and a few bells and whistles, but not the luxury package, and wants it all to fit in the garage and the budget, I challenge anyone to come up with a better deal than the quad cab dodge hemi truck. grin.gif

Quote:

Dad had a hemi 5.7 when they were introduced and the truck was lucky to get 12mpg empty. Also the scheduled maintanance hurt too, really expensive tune-ups every 30K miles(?), if I recall. He got rid of the truck...but it was reliable.

Why was he getting expensive tune-ups every 30,000 miles? Sounds like a personal decision to me. Or his dealer duped him into giving them more money. There is no reason to do any more maintinance on a hemi motor than any other motor.

Quote:

Thanks for the thoughts, keep them coming.

Funny you mention the resale of the Toyota's. The one thing I do have on my side is that I bought a new Camry and I should be able to reap some rewards of that purchase to offset another Toyota if I so decide to go that way.

Wish I had to funds to buy a new Tacoma or Tundra
smirk.gif

After owning 1 new and 8 used Toyotas over the last 27 years it'd be a no brainer for me. Someone on FM defines Toyota as:

Japanese for less time in the shop and more time on the water.

That's in addition to better resale and gas mileage.

I had a Dodge gas and I was getting 14mpg to 16mpg during normal use, I don't see much difference from any other brands.

If you tow you will never get good mileage unless you get a diesel, in which case the Dodge with Cummins and manual transmission will beat anybody else for mileage and power.

Bottom line is: if you tow heavily or often bite the bullet and get a diesel, otherwise stay with a gasser but don't complain.

BTW Dodge is coming out soon with a 1/2 ton diesel which will kick butt...