Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bison9

Rainy River Inquiry

7 posts in this topic

All,

I'm looking to go to the Rainy this year and was wondering two things from you seasoned Rainy experts:

1.) What is the best way to get there from Fargo

2.) Any suggestions on where to stay? Can you camp by the launches at all?

I am expecting to go there when the big boats are launchable. Any ideas when that normally is every year? Is there any chance that the run will last till about April 8th or so? I have read some real good Rainy River info on this forum in the years past. Any comments on this stuff would be great! Thanks to all and good luck!

quickest way is hiway 10 to DL than take 34 to Park Rapids and than hop on 71 north all the way up....if you go out of Baudette there are resorts, motels, and campgrounds....if you head up further towards Birchdale and Manitou than all you have is the birchdale campground...hope this helps.....the river in the spring is a blast!!!!

check out Clementson resort I have stayed their multiple times. It ain't the fanciest place but their place is clean and warm with kitchens for cooking. It will be interesting this year. I don't know how much snow they have but the ideal time is too follow the ice as it goes out and to catch it before it muddies up cause that will shut her down. Keep an eye on their website and try to be flexible.

I suggest taking I- 29 North to Drayton, then its a straight shot!

Bison, if your leaving from Fargo I would take I-29 to drayton and then east to greenbush. Take a left there on hiway 11 and it's a straight shot from there. As far as camping goes we camped a fronteer two years ago, and the dnr was there checking everyone as they got off the river and they never said anything to us. If I remember correctly I believe there is an actual campsite at birchdale. If your going to bring a bigger boat your probably going to want to use birchdale anyway.

Quote:

quickest way is hiway 10 to DL than take 34 to Park Rapids and than hop on 71 north all the way up....if you go out of Baudette there are resorts, motels, and campgrounds....if you head up further towards Birchdale and Manitou than all you have is the birchdale campground...hope this helps.....the river in the spring is a blast!!!!

If you are going this route take the Island/Shell Lake road that is east of Hight Of Land. This will take you up through Two Inlets and cut off 3 to 4 miles.

Thanks Guys!