• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

I am planning a short BWCA trip 1st part of June. I usually go to Alpine via Seagull but am considereing Perent Lake this year via #36 Hog Creek entry point. (I havent done anythig too strenuous for a few years) How would the two compare for a BWCA experience for a couple of first timers into the BWCA? How is the fising? (Walleyes, bass, Northern pike)? Perent Lake is closer to our cabin north of Two Harbors and our time is somewhat limited. Thanks for any information.

MNfisher; I've been all over Seagull back when it had the 9.9 limit (lakewide) but we never made the trek into Alpine...always meant to, heard it's an easy enough portage and a cool lake. I've been into Perent once, cool entry down Hog creek, I'd be just a little worried this year with the low water, I remember we had to walk the canoes a couple times then. Nothing tough tho'. Good fishing lake, walleyes were on the small side, but there were plenty of them. Haven't been back in 7 or 8 years.

Thanks for the info Traveler. The forest ranger at Tofte said that yes, the water may be quite low in Hog Creek. Alpine is an interesting lake to fish and spend time on. I haven't been real lucky with walleye, but I've seen some big ones caught. Hammered the smallmouth on Red Rock lake in June though one time. Thanks again.