• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Free agency news, post here

jigging wader

Now its NFL free agency time any news post here. Anything I hear I will try to post.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Looks like Jeff Garcia and Tampa may be reaching a agreement.

Looks like Tampa is getting Garcia AND Jake Plummer. 2 more QB's off the market. And apparently Brad Johnson is visiting Denver today to maybe fill Plummers spot. Go figure.

DD

Big score for the Vikings! They get tight end Visanthe Shiancoe and linebacker Vinny Ciurciu.

Who?????

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Schmoot just signed with Washington.

Its good too see the vikings making an immediate splash with some big names. They seem real eager too upgrade the team. They better be careful, that $30 million wont last forever.

One team who has been making some noise this week appears to be Detroit. Maybe 4th place in the North will be up for grabs this year.

DD

Yeah Detroit is making alot of noise but they are building up their offense and trading away their defense! So I don't know how well they are improving themselves. Also was reading that Dre Bly was upset about being traded to Devner, and wanted to go to Washington, just so he could get his 4.2 million in his last year of his contract. If it was me I'd be thrilled to play for the Denver Organization and to play under Shannahan! You've always got a chance to win a superbowl with him as your head coach.

Also read that Jerry Porter is talking to the Cowboys and Baltimore Ravens. Could you imagine the Ravens defense with Porter??

I don't know what the vikes are waiting for, its a decent pool of talent in this offseason, seems like they are more worried about the draft than anything. So we might fighting for the 4th place title this year if we don't get our act together. Who are the two no-names that we signed? How do you even say their names?

I thought Donte Stallworth would look good in purple but sounds like he is going into substance rehab and likely to be suspended by the league. So another Koren Robinson follower it sounds like.

That stinks that Green left the Pack. That's one less easy fumble opp. every time we play them.

Quote:

Also read that Jerry Porter is talking to the Cowboys and Baltimore Ravens. Could you imagine the Ravens defense with Porter??

I think you mean Joey Porter the LB who was released by Pittsburg. Jerry Porter is a WR for Oakland. Anyways, Baltimore may be a good fit for him as he could move into where Adalius Thomas left. Plus he'd get to face Pittsburgn 2 times a year.

oh ya my bad, I meant Joey Porter. I guess Moss might be headed to the Pats if they can work that out, and Brad Johnson signed with the cowboys today. Along with big pass rushing DE Patrick Kearney signing with the Seahawks.

I think the Vikes are doing a good job holding back on some of these marginal players that are signing for HUGE money right now. This early portion of free agency really didn't provide the Vikes with alot of opportunities at the positions they were in need of. Why get into a bidding war with these guys. The Vikes have proven they will be aggressive when the right player presents itself--let's be patient here and see how everything unfolds.

Zep,

I wold have to agree with you on the most part. Except for Kerney....not a marginal player and we needed a DE.

Later on in the offseason there are usually some players cut for cap reasons. Look for the Vikes to snatch up some of those guys that couldn't earn thier paycheck. Real deals on has-been's and never-will-be's.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Kerney would have been a marginal deal for the Vikings as well. He's long in the tooth by NFL standards (will be 31 next season). Last year he was injured off and on and had 14.0 tackles 2 assists 4.5 sacks. Not what the Vikes are looking for out of a DE.

They very well could draft a pretty good DE in this years draft at the #7 slot.

Porter goes to the Dolphins. Henry to Denver. Thomas gets traded to the Jets.

One thing to remember is that the Vikings have to spend a certain amount of money. Matt Birk was on KFAN this morning and he was talking about how this junky group of Free Agents are getting huge deals because teams have to spend the minimum amount of money.

But hey, the Vikings are only 2 quarterbacks, 4 receivers, 2 offensive lineman, 1 defensive end, 1 cornerback, 3 linebackers, one head coach, one offensive coordinator, one defensive coordinator, and one new stadium away from a super bowl appearance j/k

Can the Vikes win more than 3 games without rehauling the whole works?

i would have to agree with most of the free agency talk. this class has been regarded as very weak, and there is no sense in signing a marginal player just to fill a hole to make the fan happy about the team doing something. i too was waiting for the vikes to make a significant move, but there just werent the players there. kerney was good a few years ago, but stated above, will be 31. while he does have some speed off the edge, hes not the player the vikes typically go after. i also would be wary about signing any retreads later in the offseason...they got cut for a reason and they may not have enough character to play for chilly.

on another note, does anybody think the vikes have what it takes to trade up in the draft? i know its always brought up but usually not a good idea. i just think we are in no mans land with regards to the talent. i dont want to see another DE taken in the 1st rd. i think we either trade up and try for a shot at johnson (moss with a conscience) or trade down and aquire picks.

just some thoughts

R U saying that geting rid of J. Wiggins and getting Vinsanity won't be enough ?

we shouldve kept wiggins and used him as trade bait or else just kept him on the roster

I fully agree . I think they could have fit him in somehow . Wasn't worth a dang after the catch but he caught most everything thrown to him . And he was a decent guy .

Shiancoe 26, spent his first four seasons with the New York Giants, serving as a backup to Jeremy Shockey. He has 35 catches for 253 yards and three TDs in 64 career games.

Wiggins led the Vikings in receptions in 2004 and 2005, had only 46 catches for 386 yards with one touchdown in 2006.

Makes sence to me. Wiggins in an off year puts up numbers equal to Shiancoe carreer. So you get rid of him, Good hands, decent blocker, not much after the run. But show me more then a handful of TE's in the NFL that can do it all. Another hole in the offense to be filled

KANSAS CITY, MISSOURI (TICKER) -- The Kansas City Chiefs have found a replacement for Kawika Mitchell.

The Chiefs on Tuesday signed free agent middle linebacker Napoleon Harris to a six-year contract.

Financial terms were not disclosed.

A five-year veteran, Harris spent his last two seasons with Minnesota. He was acquired by Minnesota in March 2005 in the deal that sent wide receiver Randy Moss to Oakland.

Chiefs general manager Carl Peterson admitted the club has had its eye on Harris.

"He is a player who we liked coming out of college from Northwestern," Peterson said. "He was a player we interviewed and considered very seriously with our first-round draft choice in 2002. He is an experienced middle linebacker who is still very young and who we believe will continue to ascend as a player for the Kansas City Chiefs."

In Kansas City, Harris could take over as the club's starting middle linebacker in place of Mitchell, who is an unrestricted free agent.

Harris, 28, played 14 games last season, registering 59 tackles and a career-high 2 1/2 sacks. The 6-2, 255-pounder has recorded 333 tackles and six sacks in 74 career contests.