Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Gull Lake Accessibility

6 posts in this topic

How likely is it that gull lake will be accessible on march 24? Or because of all the snow we've gotten will it be too slushy by then to even worry about it?

I live on the west side of the lake and there is a lot of snow after this last storm. It was not very easy driving my truck out to my fish house last Monday after the fist snow storm. We did get the fish house off the ice but it was a challenge. After this storm I really doubt if you could drive a 4 wheel drive truck on the lake. A snowmobile is probably the only answer. I don't think we will be able to drive on the lake by the 24th but we shall see. Will need a major warm up for that to happen...

There is alot of snow at this point!

I'd be fishing out of the access on the eastside of the lake. It wouldn't bother me to have to walk out because I wouldn't have to go out very far. But I'm just wondering if the shoreline ice will be stable or will I have to rig something up to get across some open water?

I would say that the weather is going to be warm enough here on out, and after this last storm, I agree that a sled will be the only motorized way to go.

Keep in mind the culvert in hole in the day. By then you might be seeing some open water.I would bet there will be a fair amount of slush, but until the snow is gone the ice should stay. When it melts it will find the cracks and cause erosion, but the ice in general, if not sun beaten shouldn't become too honeycombed.

You might have to bring a canoe though if the sun hits the spot hard...?

Also keep in mind that the walleyes run in the streams around the second week of April, give or take a week, northerns run prior to that. smirk.gif

Keep off the ICE! Let the fish do there thing for a few months with out being disturbed. I'm sure your freezer is full anyway. LOL, Do what you want, but be sure to where your water wings.

I think my ice fishing is done for the year...I was on the canadien border this past weekend and was walking through slush and 2 inches of water...not so fun.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Sleder
      Wanderer ,I believe Ely seizure was something to do with the BWCA . Lots of articles in newspaper .Some law about no commercial activity ( an active viable fishery) in side of park unless it enhances park like canoe rentals ect.... They were trying to stop Fishery for last number of years. I believe DNR does not want to do away with Frozen Bait Market , they just don't want fish from the Great Lakes or other contaminated areas to bring diesese to inland lakes.  If fish does not have a VHS Certification Number on its package , I would not be using it for bait.  Grocery store stuff totally Illegal ...  I emailed a Bait Company that has VHS Certified Smelt and Alewifes   info@awesomeadventuresfisheries.com     They gave me a list of stores that carry their products ... Save hunting around for Legal Bait   Hope this Helps
    • Sushilicious
      We only fished for 5 hours (only 2 hours were worthwhile 29 ft).  
    • Sushilicious
      OK so day before father's day we had terrible weather. 1st spot was in 14 ft of current n we caught 4 eyes. Did c a sturgeon role but waste of time other than that. Next spot 6 eyes still a wasted time cause of the weather but the old man did caught a 20 in so it wasn't all that bad. But once the weather allowed we catch  26 eyes n in 29 ft of water n one was 24 in.
    • Sushilicious
      Definitely have 2 disagree with with u 2. I understand the drive n the worry but if you've fished the csn chain for 10+ years there shouldn't be a worry 2 find a campsite cause you've driven past plenty of them. Also we're in the same boat regardless of the travel distance to fine a campsite. Yes it is nice 2 have a guaranteed spot but since they went 2 paid 2 camp regulation they have taken out a number of campsites so it limits options. ALSO U R WAY WRONG ON SAYING MORE PPL R AT THE PARK NOW. I went last Saturday  (day before father's day) n we seen like 4 or 5 more boats than canoes. It's nice for ppl who don't know the csn chain but it's terrible for the economy.   Fyi. First time I went fishing on the chain I went lake trout fishing on David......... I was 6 weeks old ......... I'm 32 now..... my dad's been fishing the csn chain for 65+ years    P.s. love how there's less pressure=better fishing.
    • Rachelkate21
      Hey! Does anyone know any brooks/steams/rivers that would be full of trout? Preferably near lakeville, mn but ill travel!
    • redlabguy
      Nice fish, Jeff. And good lesson on 1/2 crawlers, Cliff. I'm off the water for a few days with family doings, but should report I've seen a lot of mayflies in Frazer and near the portage. Clouds on the sonar and slicks of the water. I'm guessing it's not the big hatch, but it's providing a lot of food for fish. good luck out there.
    • osok
      Just got back into town from a slightly too long "vacation" dealing with relatives. Anywho, how has the fishing been on Superior, are the fish local or have they migrated N.E? 
    • AaronTC05
      I just bought a new Elite 7TI and the sun cover it came with doesn't really snap on very securely.  I'd say it just rests loosely on the outside.  It won't fall off if I flip it upside down, but it feels like it wouldn't stay on going down the highway or withstand any sort of jarring.  It takes hardly any pressure to pull it off.  Is this normal or is it a defect?  I've never owned a graph with a sun cover so I'm not familiar, but I imagined it would be a lot more snug.    
    • leech~~
      We will see if Sailorfly is another ask a silly question one hit wonder? 
    • jiggin9
      I have a Lowrance Elite 7 and was curious what lake chip most of you recommend for Lake of the Woods.  The insight pro chip that came with my unit is very basic for up there and was looking for a more detailed chip.  I'm not sure what brands are compatible with the Lowrance and which ones aren't.        Thanks in advance!