Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Gull Lake Accessibility

6 posts in this topic

How likely is it that gull lake will be accessible on march 24? Or because of all the snow we've gotten will it be too slushy by then to even worry about it?

I live on the west side of the lake and there is a lot of snow after this last storm. It was not very easy driving my truck out to my fish house last Monday after the fist snow storm. We did get the fish house off the ice but it was a challenge. After this storm I really doubt if you could drive a 4 wheel drive truck on the lake. A snowmobile is probably the only answer. I don't think we will be able to drive on the lake by the 24th but we shall see. Will need a major warm up for that to happen...

There is alot of snow at this point!

I'd be fishing out of the access on the eastside of the lake. It wouldn't bother me to have to walk out because I wouldn't have to go out very far. But I'm just wondering if the shoreline ice will be stable or will I have to rig something up to get across some open water?

I would say that the weather is going to be warm enough here on out, and after this last storm, I agree that a sled will be the only motorized way to go.

Keep in mind the culvert in hole in the day. By then you might be seeing some open water.I would bet there will be a fair amount of slush, but until the snow is gone the ice should stay. When it melts it will find the cracks and cause erosion, but the ice in general, if not sun beaten shouldn't become too honeycombed.

You might have to bring a canoe though if the sun hits the spot hard...?

Also keep in mind that the walleyes run in the streams around the second week of April, give or take a week, northerns run prior to that. smirk.gif

Keep off the ICE! Let the fish do there thing for a few months with out being disturbed. I'm sure your freezer is full anyway. LOL, Do what you want, but be sure to where your water wings.

I think my ice fishing is done for the year...I was on the canadien border this past weekend and was walking through slush and 2 inches of water...not so fun.