Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gunflint

North Shore Ice

15 posts in this topic

I see where the weather service is calling for "ice to stack up to 25 feet" due to the big east wind. Are you guys in Duluth seeing this? I would think that would make shore fishing a little challenging this spring. Not to mention the shore ice would last until July.

Park Point was closed off last night. It'll be interesting to see what it looks like today. 66 mph winds and snow, yikes, might be tough seining foe smelt this year.

Yea we won't be shore fishing til June. LOL.

As of right now there is still flat ice from 21st to the bridge (that's as far as I can see out my window). I will report after I head up the shore tomorrow.

There has been times in past years that a really stong east wind has stack the ice up to 20 feet deep, so with the winds that they reported 25 feet thick would not be out of the question.

I have witnessed the 25+ foot stacks of ice over in the U.P. I have pictures that I can post if anyone would like to see them. It is a really cool site to see!

I'm gonna be up there next week, that'll be cool to see. I was hoping to try my luck for kamloops on the way back from grand marais though, how's the shoreline looking in the french/lester river areas?

I live on park point and ventured over the sand dunes this morning. The ice is nowhere near 25 feet thick. It didn't really seem to stack up much despite that howling wind we had yesterday. Not sure if it hit the northshore harder or not. They closed the point to vehicle traffic. I had a friend walk in some beer, so I'm not leaving. (yes, that is an OUTSTANDING friend)

Grouser

Shiner- If you could post those pics that would be great. Ive never seen anything like that before. Must be one heck of a sight.

IceMountain.jpg

This is the only one I can find right now. This was taken before the days of digital so I have to dig through some shoe boxes to find the rest. Taken at Little Girls Point, UP Michigan 1995.

100_0364.jpg

Here is the North Shore just past Two Harbors at 2:00 pm

Cool pic shiner! When i heard that they were predicting the ice stacking up i was looking forward to seeing it. After seeing the pic, I'm glad it didnt. Dont ya think that would make looper fishin a bit difficult? laugh.gif

We would actually climb up and over to the open water and slip bobber for Cohos......it was much more difficult and dangerous but we were young and dumb and wanted to fish!

how is the ice off 21 st and lester, thought i saw a couple people out there today.

21st ice is still good as of today.