Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hermit

How big of a northern could one potentially catch?

14 posts in this topic

No doubt Rainy has a good population of pike, and has of good of a chance for a "true" 20 lber. as anywhere else in the lower 48. Just curious as if the DNR or any fisherman have come across any unordinary large specimans...........

What is the biggest northern that you have heard of being caught or handled in the last 10-15 years out of Rainy? ............:(I'm talking 26 lbs or 47 inch class pike)

I recorded 2 last summer in the creel survey in the 46-47" class and probably 20-30 in the 40-44" class. I'm confident there are 50"+ pike but they'll probably die before they're caught. I just don't think they're very vulnerable to anglers except for maybe a week in the spring and again in the fall.

HEY HERMIT,

20 TO 25 LB. FISH ARE VERY COMMON, LIKE UFFDA SAID I'M SURE THERE NUMEROUS 30+ IN RAINY, BUT THERE IS A REASON THEY GOT TO 30, KIND OF LIKE SHOOTING A 300 LB. BUCK, OR CATCHING A 15 LB. WALLEYE, THERE AROUND, BUT HARD TO SHOOT OR CATCH.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

Last year I was working on the house, and decided to sneak out for a paddle boat ride in my daughters little hot rod. landed a 44.5, 41, and 39 inch Pike in about an hour and a half. Lost later that day a fish I would estimate to go 47-50 inches! Made my labs stay on shore from that day on! Ha!

I have a 17 Lb 37 inch northern I caught when I was 15. We caught several that day, I thought that was big.... usually we'll catch 3 or 4 of them the week we are there now..

Biggest, caught in 2003 he is on my wall, 28 lbs 42 inches long, I had lake of the woods taxidermy do her, took a year to get it back, but the colors and wow, what a mount.. expensive at $9 dollars an inch...LOL.

Caught during a major slooner.

Definately lots of great pike in rainy. 40"+ is not out of the question and a reasonable goal. Getting that 45"+ will be difficult as you can imagine. I believe Fishmesiter made a good comparison in his response.

we see many 38"-42" northerns during our week in august the last few years. Last year we had more 35-36's than we could count.

I just received these pictures from a friend. It says the monster is from Rainy Lake. Anyone else see these pics? Any truth to it?

s_82284587.jpg

s_82624661.jpg

N-O! Those are two seperate fish caught on two seperate lakes which no one really seems to be able to confirm. I have seen those pics way too much if you couldn't tell crazy.gif

HI,

THIS HAS BEEN GOING AROUND THE INTERNET FOR ABOUT 4 MONTHS, THE FISH WAS CAUGHT SOMEWHERE IN EUROPE., BESIDES RAINY IT WAS ALSO SAID TO BE CAUGHT IN LAKE-O-WOODS AND OTHER LAKES. THE GUY LOOKS EUROPEAN, THE BACKROUND ALSO LOOKS LIKE AN AREA I'M NOT FIMILAR WITH. IF YOU CHECK PAST THREADS ON THE RAINY SITE, YOU WILL FIND THIS FISH & COMMENTS ON IT.

SINCERELY,

FISHMEISTER

NO, NO, NO...As Fishmeister and F&F said it has been a spook that someone has tried to pull on everyone for the last year or so. It is definately not from Rainy, LOW, or any other minnesota/ontario body of water that if claims to be caught from.

Yeah that's been mentioned.

I know I just had to put my two cents in it! grin.gif

I had received an email with both of these pictures in it last week. The email also claimed that the fish had been taken from Rainy Lake. I had read about this fish last year. Information is in the northern pike musky forum. Around the date of 7/25/06 in the history.