Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Visiting Rainy Lake in June for 1st Time

7 posts in this topic

Heavy J writes: Good day fishermen!! My family (brothers, nephews, uncles) have reservations at Island View Lodge for the week of June 9th, 2007 and I just found your site. I am amazed at the information that is brought forth from you folks. We have fished in Canada around Kenora for many years and wanted to explore the northern US and my brother found the IVLodge and your forum.

We are excited about this trip and am sure we'll be asking a bunch of questions as June gets closer. We are used to fishing with only jigs and minnows in Ontario and I have not used crawler harnesses or lindy rigs but am willing to try anything to catch the walleyes for shore lunches, etc.

We also love to cast for smallies and northerns between times when we dunk minnows.

One quick question--I see Black Bay on the map and a whole bunch of surrounding islands close to IVLodge. Will we be able to catch fish locally or will we need to purchase Canadian licenses??

Thanks in advance for your help and responses.

Heavy J aka Rick Jones

Welcome 2255 to a great fishing site and Lake.

You should be able to catch plenty of fish in early June in American waters. I'll likely see you & ask for an interview for the DNR creel survey at I.V. that week.

Jigs and minnows - live or Gulp minnows - will work. As well as Lindy rigs with minnows. Crawlers and leeches might be going by then too. That time of year you will likely be able to cast or troll cranks shallow for walleyes as well as cast cranks, spinnerbaits or jigs and plastics for smallies and pike. It depends a lot on what the water temps is doing.

An important key in June is stable weather and you should have some as long as you're here for a week.

Keep checking in and asking questions. There are some very knowledgable folks on this thread - I have the least time on Rainy of any of the regulars here.

Right on. As uffda said, just keep checking in as the time gets closer to see what's happening up here. More than likely a lot your questions will get answered without you even asking them.

Hevey J, Welcome to the forum. My wife and I with a few other couples will be there the same week this year. We'll be staying at the resort next door (Thunderbird) but normally need to make a few trips to IV for a late sfternoon tea party (Long Island Teas), Good luck and maybe we can hook up and compare notes. HTB

Thanks uffda, G-man and HTB for the info. We are looking forward to meeting as many of you folks as possible. This is a great forum and opportunity for us newbies to learn a little bit before we get there. We have cabins 5, 4 and 12 reserved at Island View (may be about 19 of us) and can't wait to see the new water.

thanks again, Heavy J

I would like to add something, but it looks like its taken care of. Welcome to the forum 2255, and keep watching the posts as it gets closer to your trip. I guarantee there will be lots of useful information floating around here!

Take Care and Good Luck Fishing!

Thanks, Bill. We look forward to visiting the One Stop--it looks like a neat store and we'll need maps, lures, etc.

rick