Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MissouriJeff

Boundary Waters

4 posts in this topic

Planning a father, son trip to Namakan in early June. I have camped with my son at the Brown's Bay campsite before and this year we decided to go further north and stay around Blind Pig Island. I have been fishing this area for over 30 years but never with much knowledge of what to do and where. We have always caught fish. But don't have any pictures of monsters to show off. Basically with that time of year and location. Where could I take my 11 year old to really knock his socks off with a big one (of course I would not mind catching 1 or 14 for myself)?

while there are some nice fish on namakan its not known for huge fish. breaking 30 inches on a walleye is very hard. they nettted that lake for many years and while breaking 20 inches that time of year isnt that hard namakan is still mostly a great eaters lake with good action. also try small mouth that time of year-depending on water temps ect.. you might knock the socks off them with some small top water lures. for walleye they can litteraly be anywhere that time of year the might be in 4 ft or 20 or 40 ft. play the wind in shallow,that time of year is almost always a minnow bite but bring some crawlers too. best of luck.

MO.Jeff, Blind Pig Narrows is a great area to fish, a couple of areas on that end of Namakan for eyes that come to mind are Pat Smith Island and Your Island and My Island. Your timing is very good as well lots of action should be happening. Be aware that there is a new slot limit this year on those lakes, and be sure you have a good map so you don,t wander inadvertently to the Canadian side.

Depending on water temps, your bait choice might be critical between minnows, leeches and crawlers.

Artificial lures, ie, raps, salmos, and reef runners may be good in the late afternoons.

Also Jeff, Namakan is a border water on the Canada/US boundary, but we are not the Boundary Waters, which is in the Grand Marais/Ely area. Watch upcoming posts after fishing opener, there will lots of good info, good luck and a good choice on your part, guts

I've fished there at that time for many years. The walleye fishing is good the smallmouth fishing excellant. Original Rapalas and sfoft plastics for the smallies.