• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

remington vs. browning

slick2526

First of all thanks for the help guys. I have narrowed it down between theese two. I know I have to go to the sportsmans store and hold both of them myself but I want to see also if anyone has had back luck with either.

Im going with the .30-06 in either a browning medallion A-bolt w/boss or a remington 700 CDL LH. I would like to know the pros and cons of both compared to each other. lol sorry about all the questions but someone needs to keep you guys busy.

thanks for your time, Adam

I have had a few Browning A-Bolts, 300WM, 25-06 and 7mm Rem Mag. The 25-06 had the BOSS system which was very accurate when I dialed it in, under 1/2 at 100 yards. The muzzle blast was incredible. After one shot without earplugs my ears rang and hurt for over 45 minutes. That was immediately repalaced with the 7mm without BOSS and the accuracy with the right ammo is nearly the same. I can usually group premium ammo around 3\4" at 100 yards. Unless you are doing mostly target/competition shooting I would shy away from the BOSS for hunting.

I don't have much experience with Remington rifles except my friend has the Rem 700 in a 30-06 and he loves it.

A friend has a Browning with the boss. Extremely loud was his issue. Personally I would go with a Remington but I am partial to them. I own just one Browning, which is nice, but I have many more Rems. They just shoot for me so well and I love their triggers. Can you get the Browning w/o the Boss? It has been said here about the fit, you need to see what fits you well and feels good (balanced) for you. LH the way I read your post? My only Browning is a lefty micro hunter in .243. There might be more options for a lefty in the Remington line, not sure.

You have a nice problem. You have to go look at alot of guns. Gotta love it. Any one will take care of business.

Good luck on your decision.

WG

I personally am a browning man but there is one advantage to a remington, if you ever get lost in the woods with remington you can always burn it to stay warm. Really though, the Remington has a pretty good reputation for being one of the better guns out of the box, and I believe they might be cheaper too.

I have a Brownig A-bolt with BOSS in 30-06 that I love. It is a very accurate rifle, with one of the smoothest factory triggers around. Is it a little loud with the Muzzle brake? Why, yes it is. When practicing I wear hearing protection, and when hunting I truly don't notice. Most of my kills have been with one shot anyways. If the noise of the BOSS does bother you, Browning includes one without the muzzle brake with every new BOSS equipped rifle. The BOSS is not really about being a muzzle brake, but rather about being able to "tune" your rifle to different ammo. I cannot overstate how happy I have been with my A-bolt, and have reccomended them to anyone looking at bolt action rifles. Of the three people that I know that have then bought A-bolts, all have been very pleased, though two of them did not get a gun equipped with BOSS.

I vote Rem, but also am partial to them. You can't go wrong either way, although I wouldn't subject my hearing to a boss. If Browning, then no boss - half an inch better accuracy ain't worth permanent hearing loss IMO. You'll get that accuracy improvement from the Rem anyway! wink.gifgrin.gif

Agree on the BOSS Cooter! I think both guns are nice and the actions are superb. I"m a Remington guy though and I'll tell you one thing....the 700 action is the "American Action" nowadays. I'm not all that impressed with a Browning even though they're trying to seem like a low end Weatherby....which I'm not all that impressed with either.

If I had another choice it'd be the the T3.

last time that i checked a person will still lose their hearing with any rifle if your shooting without protection. but if you have a chance to, i would say shoot both before buying. For me the Browning fit me better and i love it. i have shot the remington and it shot ok to. i just decided on the browning, and mainly for the action. at least with the browning if that second shot is needed i wont be pinching my fingers on my scope trying to cycle a new round.

I was in a local sporting good store yesterday holding both the cdl and the a-bolt.

i couldnt believe the price difference between the two. the a-bolt was almost 150$ cheaper than the cdl. It didnt have the boss on it tho. that was another 100$ accessorie.

but if the browning was that much cheaper in the first place without any accessories i wonder how well the gun actually compares to the cdl. I picked both up and i guess the browning fit a little bit better to my shoulder. but not enough to make me choose it over the remington just on that one thing.

I guess now im more looking to see who owns them and what is better for accuracy and reliability. decisions decisions decisions. whats a young punk to doo.

I have a Browning .270 BLR. Love the gun. A little heavy though. The one thing I really hate is the small trigger guard. Browning must not think that we hunt in below zero weather with gloves.

If its accuracy your looking to get outta ur gun go with the Remington. If you want something to look at and be proud to own I would choose the Browning. I myself own both but the Remington seems to shoot better than the A-Bolt any day of the week.

I have not been a huge fan of Browning but I was in Scheels and they had this new gun out there on the hook and it had this protective coat. WOW that was nice. Might have to look at a browning in the future.

This experience really isn't an opinion on rifles but to me was a reflection of a company.

A few years ago I had a Rem. 1100 with a slug barrel which performed acceptably for 5 or 6 years. One year at the range before season I shot around 30-35 rounds failing to achieve an acceptable group which, for that barrel, had been been 3-4" at 50 yds. After input from a reliable gunsmith I finally sent the barrel to Remington expecting they would look for a leading problem and correct it. They returned it a month later with the target they test shot and a note stating, "This grouping is within Remington standards." The group they referred to was a 6 shot 12" group at 40 yds.

I traded the gun a few months later and have never owned another Remington.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Builders

I have a 30 06 browning with the boss and i love it the extra noise is not any trouble when hunting even with multiple shots fired but at the range that is a different game. I would not trade my browning for my dads or brothers remingtons. I went with what felt the best when i pulled it up my gun likes federal 180 grain nosler partitions.

Ford VS CHEVY same thing.....thyre both great if you take care of them grin.gif