Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishing_Rookie_123_

Coming up this weekend - a couple of questions.

7 posts in this topic

Coming up this weekend with a group of 7 in two vehicles (a 4WD truck and a Toyota Camry). Will the car make it onto the lake or are we all going to have to pile into the truck? Are any of the access points more conducive to car travel, and are there any access points to avoid with a car?

The other guys in the group are telling me not to worry about the car getting out onto the ice, but after seeing the pics of burried trucks from last weekend, I would prefer getting some opinions from you guys.

Thanks for all replies and for all of the valuable info on this forum!

Thats a pretty low car and getting over the bridges might be an issue.There is no chance of getting it off the road with out a plow job in and out but if you are renting a shack they will do it.

I would leave the car on shore this weekend. Anyone telling you not to worry either has not seen the forecast or doesn't respect how big URL is. If this storm hits like they say it could all roads could be gone in minutes. At least with a 4X4 you can bust through drifts. If it is blowing 20 mph with all of this loose snow moving and new snow being added plowing will not do any good for more then a few minutes. Each time you plow a narrow road to get someody off the lake you make it a lot worse because you are making banks that make the drifts higher.

Also they are forcasting "whiteout" conditions ON THE HIGHWAYS for parts of Friday. Lake travel then will be by GPS only.

With "Blizzard Conditions" URL is not the place you want to be. If you get into trouble help can not be there in minutes. Plan on hours.

The last time a storm like this hit. 4 years ago. A man was stuck in his car and needed help as he had aleady spent the night in his car and was running out of gas. He was in cel phone contact with shore. 3 of us in V-Plows looked for him for over 5 hours in 3 wide sweeps using GPS and could not find him. He was found later in the day by complete accident when I was plowing out to get my customers off and the guy in the car FELT the V-Plow go by and called shore who radioed me to stop where I was and look around. His car was 100% covered with snow, just another drift on a big lake. He was in the car, out of gas and very cold.

We have told all of our customers this weekend to come with a 4X4 only.

Good call Kelly!

that story scares me..stay smart people, listen to the ones w/ the experience. thanks kelly

agree on Kelly's comment. If you come, I'd leave the car at home and buy another 4x4. My buddy had a LOW resort call him and pretty much told him to cancel the weekend because of bad lake conditions...too much to area to cover and HEAVY drifts. Thank you to Kelly and others for keeping everyone safe!

ps- that story scares the hell out of me too. stay with your vehicle!!!

When I was young and a little stupid a forecast like this excited me. smile.gif Now when I'm a "little" grin.gif older I want everyone to be safe. A forecast like this leaves leaves a cold lonely feeling in my gut. Be safe everyone. cool.gif