• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

220 issue

poutpro

How many people attended one of the meetings the DNR held about certain issues, one being the restriction of 220's on land? I sure hope that enough trappers got to these meetings to voice their opinions. I would hate to see them restricted.

They talking banning them on land or just restrictions? In WI, we have to have them recessed so far in a cubby set depending on the opening size for land sets.

lets get out there and let people know(DNR and public) its about trapper education and trap site selection, and banning the land use of 220's isn't necessary. In fact this would greatly hinder the way a guy can trap as well as simply manage predators such as racoons. The 220 pail cubby set is one of the most efficient, humane, and best land sets possible for racoons. I do know guys who use these exclusively for bobcats, fisher, and skunks as well. The only conditions with using the set is that one must be careful on location ie.- private land not near residences with pets. I for one love this trap and its humane effectivness so therefore, I am careful on its uses. More people need a little trapper education, NOT restriction, that would be a shame. IF YOUR ARE A TRAPPER OR ARE IN FAVOR OF THE 220 YOU NEED TO MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD AT THE DISCUSSIONS TO EDUCATE THE ONES WHO AREN'T. Our dwindling numbers are so under represented already...

Gorrilla,

I agree the baited cubby can be a very effective set. I have used them myself with good results. It is also a very dangerous set when used carelessly and very indiscriminant on what it kills. I am glad to hear that you use it carefully, but what do you say to the guy who gets his prize hunting dog or family pet whacked by some bonehead who sets one right off a trailhead on public land? Too bad, I guess that guy didn't know what he was doing? Doesn't bring the dog back. These things need some regulation because unfortunately there are far too many boneheads out there.

I disagree, I think we need some more education out there myself. Most of my trapping experience came from southern MN where all my land sets were on private land where like I said previously I avoided known pet areas as everyone should. If I caught a stray cat deep into posted land, I figured it shouldn't be there anyway.

As far as the northland with lots of public forest, that becomes more difficult. In my opinion during early November through mid to late December is a VERY poor time to run bird dogs through public forest anyway with all the firearms/muzzleloader deer hunters out there anyway. Why not encourage use of these type of cubbies during those times????? Its when the fisher, bobcat, and marten seasons are anyway.... As an avid bird hunter, deer hunter, and former(and possibly future) trapper, I think we need to work together on this one and strive to preserve rights, not remove them.

As far as public trailheads go, I love dogs and don't want to loose any pets in this way, but maybe a solution would be to allow these traps during prime Nov-Dec (up north on public) trapping and let the grouse hunters know the hazards exist for this eight week period.

My opinion on snares in the early fall in southern MN parallels this one since I almost lost a springer on private land pheasant hunting. Althought this was from a POACHER who was trespassing and using untagged snares on a deer trail(without a jump stick). Luckily I was right there and was able to release my pooch, and lucky for the slob tresspasser I wasn't able to find him, who gives all responsible trappers a bad name.

I don't think snares have taken many dogs lives. Most will just stop and sit like they are on a leash. Also, what is to stop someone that trap irresponsibly from just breaking the law and still putting the 220's out or even 330's out on land? Its not the law following trappers that are causing the accidents, its those that don't and call themselves trappers. Restricing the 220 would be a big mistake.

Just to clarify, poutpro, I'm not in favor of restricting use of any trap. If we are talking about shared use of intensely used public areas upnorth though, I'd hesitate to say there isn't a need in some areas to coordinate recreations with certain times of the season. If guys are going to put 220's out during the fisher, bobcat seasons (which I believe start around Muzzleloader opener after Thanksgiving) then maybe hunting dog owners need to be aware of this and coordinate public land usage accordingly.

Like I stated before, often times the weeks during trapping are poor times for grouse hunters and hound runners to be bringing dogs to the public woods anyway with the abundance of deer hunters at those times. IMO of course...

As far a snares go, I'll have to disagree. Granted, the example in my previous story wasn't a trapper, it was a poacher/tresspasser so I'm not coming down on educated, responsible trappers. My dog would have died if I wasn't within twenty yards of it when it was caught. We were in tall cattails and with the size of the slough, if I wasn't 'Johnny on the spot,' Roscoe would have croaked since we was already gasping for air. I've had dogs in my legholds just sit down and relax like you said, but snares and conibears are designed to humanely subdo critters quickly therefore I believe they are great tools for a trapper/predator manager, but I strongly believe education needs to be widespread on where and when and why a trapper should use these sets. Lets not restrict them, just educate the public better...