Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wade Joseph

Supporting the troops

31 posts in this topic

I had an idea the other day and I wanted to share. I am going to contact the VA reps for both Duluth and Superior and inquire about troops returning from Iraq and Afganistan that are wounded or in rehab that may want to go fishin. I am going to offer my boat and myself to take them. I was hoping to get a "data base" of others willing to provide an empty boat seat to these recent heros.

Any of you interested please contact me.

When you get some info post it, a get together at a lake with some folks willing to make a day of it might be a fun thing to do. I would be up for something of that nature.

I like that idea. Another idea would be to pool some cash and have it used for a 1/2 day of charter fishing on the Big Pond for the heros. I'm looking into myself a possible fly in trip to Canada this summer with my family before my oldest enters the service. I know when I was in I greatly missed the hunting and fishing. Hardly any lakes near FT Sill, Oklahoma and the deer looked like spaniels. A good web site to check out, and I will probably get tagged by the moderators for this, is www.ourguysoverthere.com.

Let me know what you come up with . I'll help any way I can .

Count myself and my boat in. Great idea Wade!

Speaking of which, whatever happened to "Imbackandfishing?"

Wade if you get this set up I will donate my boat for a day on the river. Im thinking the 1st week in June should be good fishin and warm enough weather.

Set it up however you like though. Ill do whatever I can.

Wade, post what you find out and count me in.

I have contacted the VA reps for Douglas and StLouis counties. I will post more when I get replies.

I can find room in My boat also

Randoid

Good idea Wade, count me in. I'm also guessing we might be able to find a few kids that have parents serving over seas that have no one to take them out fishing.

I'll volunteer my time and boat as well. Keep us posted.

Quote:

Good idea Wade, count me in. I'm also guessing we might be able to find a few kids that have parents serving over seas that have no one to take them out fishing.

I like that idea, also. I'm in anyway I can be

Gentlemen (and ladies),

Every time I watch the news, read the paper, and hear of some terrible story of how the world is going to hell, I come back to this site and thank God for people like you. Life is truly grand, and I THANK YOU all (ahem, even the packer fans) for making the world a better place!!!

Back to lurking...FISH ON!

Ya Eye Point these guys on FM never quit amazing me! Great bunch we have on the Duluth/B-dub forum. Glad to see ya on board as well.

This is a great group of guys (especially the Packer fans!!) and I am proud to say I am a member of FM.

I think its us Cheeseheads that keep the rest of the yahoos on this forum in line! (Just my personal opinion grin.gif)

Quote:

I think its us Cheeseheads that keep the rest of the yahoos on this forum in line! (Just my personal opinion
grin.gif
)

I Second that one grin.gif

Agreed!!! God bless Green Bay and our troops!!!! grin.gif

Even though I live in Souptown Im still a Vikings , Gophers, Bulldogs, T-Wolves and Twins fan. I grew up in Duluth/Two Harbors and cant stand the Pack! wink.gif

You guys may want to contact Veterans on the Lake in Ely. They do a lot of disabled vets trips, and possibly could aid in coordinating this effort. Great idea about helping the vets smile.gif We donate all the bait for the St. Cloud vets hospital fishing trip on Fall Lake, and would do the same for any of you that bring a disabled/wounded vet into the Ely area for some relaxation wink.gif. Contact us to arrange it!

PS-Northlander, I'm with you. Packeritis is a mental illness, with no forseeable cure grin.gif

And don't forget to contact Sam Cook at the Duluth News Tribune and the TV news stations in Duluth. They're always looking for stories like this. You should be sure to contact them well ahead of the day/days involved so they have time to plan their coverage, and they may even do a short piece advancing the event/program to increase interest.

Not at all a bad way to put FM in the news, either, though now that the idea's out here for everyone to see, some other group may glom onto it, too. But, of course, we have more fun. grin.gif

A packer ? I thought they became extinct in the late 60's.. cool.gif

Quote:

A packer ? I thought they became extinct in the late 60's..
cool.gif

Viking, there was some threat of extinction for us back then, but most of us hung around past the late 60s partly because we felt we could win another Super Bowl or two (which we did), and partly because we get so much enjoyment out of watching the Vikings fail on the rare occasions they've made it there. Isn't it four and counting? smirk.gif

And now, back to the topic. Well, no, I suppose now that I've actually had the gall to sass back a Vikings fan, and with the TRUTH, it won't just die there. grin.gif

Sorry Wade about going off-topic.

Quote:

Quote:

A packer ? I thought they became extinct in the late 60's..
cool.gif

HAHA, Quess I don't see where I ever stated I was a Viking's fan.

But to get back on topic. I am an Army vet and would glady take a couple of vets out. Let me know the plan.