• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Would like to go to the western BWCA, lac la croix in particular. Looks like a nice adventure. Would like to get a tow further out to get away from it all. Any recommendations? campsites, tow services, good fishing areas, etc.

I would contact Zups Resort. They run the portage and offer tow service up there. Do a search and you should find their web site. You should also be able to get whatever info you need from that site.

Good Luck. That's some nice country you're looking to explore.

I agree! Zups is a great place to stay. They are very helpful and make your stay well worth while!

la croix is a fun lake been there many time in the past 20 years. the canadian side is all motor and minnesota side is motor from the loon portage to snow bay and then paddle only . zups are a good outfit but it is on the canadian side so you will have to check customs in and out.anderson outfitters also do tows and so does gateway all in crane lake. enough small talk to the heart of the matter la croix has lakers on the west end and lady boot bay ,walleyes start bitting on the east end first and move west as summer gets later, crappies in lady boot.northerns and bass pretty much everyware. i fish mostly the canadian side.iron is a good lake also but can get busy.bottle portage probableing the number one drop for the outfitters .macree is also good walleye, bass,northerns also hit hard and the native can use motors in there but seldom do. there are also steam trout lakes off ao la croix which are fun also. the big stretch of la croix(from cambels to indian narrows) can get choppy for a canoe so be safe.if i was going to paddle it i would stay in the area from fish stake to lady boot to colman island. however many of the campsites on the western side see little or absolutly no use at all. good luck have fun and may the wind be at your back.