Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Minnow Preference

10 posts in this topic

I'm just curious what kinds of minnows everyone uses out there. Not including crappie minnows, what are your preferences between fatheads, rainbow chubs, golden or silver or emerald shiners, sucker minnows, madtoms, or any other type of minnow. Add what you fish for with them, how and where you fish them, what season, etc. I'm just curious what everyone is doing out there.

I fish Winnie a lot early in the year, and what we've found in our group is that a dead shiner is better than a live chub/fathead.

this past weekend the eyes would only hit fatheads and the perch really favored emerald shinners

In the spring and fall you can't beat a live shiner on a jig. In the winter I have only used fatheads and have done just fine. Anyone use shiners in the winter up there?

We carry fatheads here at the lodge. They seem to be the best "all purpose" minnow for the buck. Now, with the walleye season closed I wouldn't spend the extra $$ on Shiners, they are difficult to keep and the perch do not seem to have a preference.

JB- Majority of the time I only use a minnow head, any head will do. Sometimes in Jan. we have better luck on the power grub. Buddy of mine nailed them on white, didn't seem to like my yellow ones. We just came off the lake today and did well with heads on small jigs and real light line. Whole minnows worked early and late, but heads all day long. Hope it helps, Kim's right, don't dump $$ on shiners! Good luck to ya! smile.gif

Anyone have any theories as to why perch prefer the head as opposed to the tail?

I'm sure that I'm not the only one who has found that when the perch are biting reasonably well, the tails work just as well as the heads!

and thats why you throw the tails next to your hole,in case you need bait real quick.when they're on it doesnt matter

When i fish crappies i use the small ruby reds if i can find them.