• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Minnow Preference

JBMasterAngler

I'm just curious what kinds of minnows everyone uses out there. Not including crappie minnows, what are your preferences between fatheads, rainbow chubs, golden or silver or emerald shiners, sucker minnows, madtoms, or any other type of minnow. Add what you fish for with them, how and where you fish them, what season, etc. I'm just curious what everyone is doing out there.

we're pretty dang chincy when we buy minnows, so anything over 3 bucks a scoop is out of the question. I pretty much only fish with crappie minnows, fatheads, or sucker minnows (tip-up fishing for pike) but in the summer we seine net some of our own (shiners). Hard to keep the things alive but it saves on money. When I graduate college this summer and get a real job maybe I'll splurge and buy the higher-end varieties...but I doubt it.

• Official Fishing Report Team - MN

Rainbows and fatheads are my choice for jigging walleyes all year. I prefer Redtail chubs in the late summer to fall for live bait rigging deep water eyes. Shiners are my go to minnow for early season live bait rigs.

JBMasterAngler - if you take a look through the Panfish Forum under, what's working now thread you will see Corey has quite a few followers behind him with those power minnows and tubes.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

Was that crappie caught on a power minnow?

No,

But 75% of these where as well as lots of released crappies, perch and eyes.

URL Power Minnow Crappies

best thing about power minnows...THEY DON'T DIE!!! Ever since seeing Corey use them, I've had awesome luck, especially this time of year for big crappies. Bass like them a lot too.

I have a picture of that 15 incher as my wallpaper to remind me of my goal. thanks Corey great picture

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

Quote:

What are power minnows?

They are scented plastic baits by Berkley. We have been using the 2" minnows. My personal favorite at least on URL is the Glow. If you google 2" power minnows you'll find them. Otherwise many of the bigger sports stores have them.

Thanks, that was my guess what a Berkley bait but wasnt real sure. So they work that good huh?

Has berkley ever made anything that doesn't work? I don't believe so.

My picture ot the 2 Crappies that was in In-Fisherman were caught on Power Minnows too. Ever since I've been telling people about my secret weapon I have had a hard time finding them in stores! crazy.gif

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Depends on what you are after, but I like chubs the best. Seems like ther are several kinds, the small ones with the black stripe, creek and redtail. All are good. I like big creek chubs the best. In late fall they seem to be the ticket where I fish. After that probabley fatheads and then shiners. Ice fishing pikes I likes the suckers. Also I think minnows will out fish plastics most the time, especially spring and fall.

I have never caught creek chubs anywhere but in designated trout waters. I'd love to use them as bait, where do you get them?

I get them at the Bait shop in Monticello. They usually have them in the fall.

Various sizes? I've caught them anywere from 4 to 10 inches long. That's what I like about rainbow chubs, when I get a scoop of them I have my choice to use 3 to 6 inchers. Are they still available in the winter?

I usually get a good mix of sizes. Some times of the year they will have a "river mix" of creek chubs, redtails, and these other kind the I call shiner chubs [not sure what they are seem like they are half shiner and half chub]. I usually see this mix in fall and early winter. I have seen some real big ones up to abou 12", but I like the 4-7 in range.