Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Minnow Preference

8 posts in this topic

I'm just curious what kinds of minnows everyone uses out there. Not including crappie minnows, what are your preferences between fatheads, rainbow chubs, golden or silver or emerald shiners, sucker minnows, madtoms, or any other type of minnow. Add what you fish for with them, how and where you fish them, what season, etc. I'm just curious what everyone is doing out there.

Quote:

I'm just curious what kinds of minnows everyone uses out there. Not including crappie minnows, what are your preferences between fatheads, rainbow chubs, golden or silver or emerald shiners, sucker minnows, madtoms, or any other type of minnow. Add what you fish for with them, how and where you fish them, what season, etc. I'm just curious what everyone is doing out there.

Depends. On opener when fishing at Wild Rice lake dam at night or Fish, I like shiners. My annual fall Lake of the Woods trip I also like shiners. Other times of the year, I like crawlers for walleye. For the Big pond, I like floating rapalas and spoons. But for minnows, it's shiners or I go home.

Around this area I find I catch just as many fish on a nice big fathead or creek chubs. Shiners work as well but I dont like the hassle of keeping them alive. Those fatheads and creek chubs are very easy to kep alive.

spot tail shiners are the best in spring for me for eye's. fatheads work in the fall. my flatheads love madtoms and bullheads up to 8", would like to use bigger but not allowed. rainbows "southern red belly dace" are good for lakers. creek chubs are great eye bait but i use them and sucker's for channel cat bait. still the best one for bass, eye's, and panfish is made of plastic.

If I'm using a minnow chances are its on the end of a jig.

Fatheads work, are the CHEAPEST minnow in the tanks and one of the hardiest.

Having said that a sucker, rainbow or shiner might be a better choice in some situations.

I've got a honey hole for Lazy Daze, like a rainbow but with a neon green stripe. Very hardy minnow too.

You get a lot of those green striped ones in the creeks over in the U.P. Those are probably my favorite for opening day on Lake Gogebic. Overhere minnow I'm using is attached to a gypsy jig anyway.

I go to grand marais every year in june and the #1 bait for walleye is leeches. I tend to catch all the eater size fish with those, but when I want to catch the bigger ones I use minnows. Pickin's are pretty slim on minnow species at the bait shops in town though. The gas station minnows are diseased or something because they start dying as soon as I get them in the bucket.

Buy your bait in Duluth ( Gander, Marine General, Chalstroms, Fishermans Corner) in Oxygen bags and put it in a cooler with a bit of ice and they will stay to Grand Marais. Chubs last forever and handle fluctuating water temps real well.