• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

New guy here. I'm from Sault Ste. Marie, Mi but I'm thinking about moving towards Duluth. I'm a big deer hunter and love fishing for cold water species.

Couple questions:

Can anybody give me info on the job market of Duluth?

Any info on the deer seasons and hunting in the area would be great too. I've contacted the MDNR for info also.

I'll have more questions later if you guys don't mind.

Here's a few pics from last year for you guys:

34in.jpg

FL000016.jpg

Girlfriends first:

JackiesChinook.jpg

FL000008.jpg

Welcome uptracker! I moved over here from Bessemer so it'll be nice to have another "yooper" on here! I'm sure a lot of people will chime in on this, but shoot me an email if you want to ask some more questions. shiner2367atyahoodotcom

Archery for deer starts in latter August and runs to Dec. 31

Gun hunt starts 1st Sat. in Nov and runs for 16 days. Duluth has an in-town archery hunt that runs concurrently with the State hunt. You have to sign up in April or May and attend informational meetings and take a shooting test.

Fishing is ...well --- really good.

The job market in Duluth depends on what you can do. Anyone in medical, trades, mechanical, banking, technology, sales can find a pretty good job. The less skilled jobs are plentiful, but pay starvation wages.

Welcome uptracker. Great fishing and deer hunting in this area. As far as jobs its a pretty slow market. Depending on what your skills are of course.

What are you looking at for a job? Lots of us here online are in totally differnet fields and might recommend companies.

I am in the computer tech/Database Administration/Web Design field......

Thanks to all of you.

Well, I'm a new grad, yet I'm a bit older (28) and experienced in the work force. My degree is in Communication and Sociology. I do have a previous Associate Degree in Emergency Medical Technology though. I'm probably going to continue my education once I get a decent job. I'm partial to sales, but I'm up for anything that gets me a good foot in the door. I'm well versed and have great people skills....some say.

Basically, I want out of Michigan, but I don't want a big city like Minneapolis or Milwaukee. I love the north and need a lot of land to roam.

Michigan is basically doomed if you ask me. Everyone is picking up and moving. I would have stayed if I would have gotten in with the Corrections Department that is close by, but they just went on a hiring freeze last week and there's no end in sight. I know a State Trooper and he told me the State recently said he can't drive his patrol car more than 80 miles a day....to cut down on costs....that's saying something.

I do have to take the Customs Officer exam next week. If nothing goes through there...I'm outta here.

My girlfriend, probably soon to be fiance, is going in to teaching. Try to keep her in mind too.

Thanks for everything and we'll continue to talk.

Quote:

Michigan is basically doomed if you ask me. Everyone is picking up and moving.

• 'we have more fun' FishingMN Creators

uptracker, welcome to FM and to Duluth if you end up here.

Good luck!

PS: the Chinook stocking program here is no more, so you'll have to head to L. Mich. to get into them.

Ouch! That's OK though. How's the steelhead ST? What's the average size?

It wasn't supposed to be taken in an offensive way. I know a lot of people that have moved away and I know a lot that have moved there. We both know that the UP is a beautiful place and I hope for everyones sake that it is not doomed. I look forward to meeting you on the water some day soon. Good luck in your job search and if I can be of any help please email me. Nate

Quote:

Quote:

Michigan is basically doomed if you ask me. Everyone is picking up and moving.

Here ya go, thumb through this:

Plus, as you can tell by the posts, the residents are now going nuts! grin.gif

UP, you can't post links to other sites, please go back and read the Forum Policy. Government sites are fine.

Now about the Steelhead. We have them but nothing like we did 30 years ago. Steelhead is C&R only has been for a long time.

Superior is deeper and colder then Mich. In a nutshell we don't have the feed to crank out big Chinooks. We did for the first decade of their introduction into the lake but have eaten themselves out of food.

Superior is a Lake Trout Lake. Along with Lakers, Superior has Coho and Loopers to offer.

Dont forget the walleyes ST. grin.gif

Hard to stay on but a nice average size when you do hit them.

Smelting too! wink.gif

Both Northlander and I work in Corrections here in Duluth. You can contact him if you want and he could give you my contact info. One place that I definitely know is hiring and will be for quite some time is the MN Sex Offender Program in Moose Lake. Its a State job so you know the wages will be OK and the benefits are pretty good. I could tell you all about it, if you are interested. I used to work there.

Thanks guys. And sorry bout that ST. Didn't catch that the first time around.

What's best way to contact you privately green and Gold. I tried to PM you from your Profile, but it doesn't seem to be enabled.

Same goes with you Shiner....sorry, I'm new here! grin.gif

K....sorry, I tried Northlandr too.

You can delete that if you want, I emailed you.

Personel messaging doesnt work on FM you have to e-mail everyone. My address is on all my posts as you see.

As GG says we both are in corrections. You have to pay your dues to get into a good paying job but like GG says Moose Lake is always looking for someone to work with that crazy crew. Moose lake is about 40 minutes from Duluth I believe and I know a few people who drive it daily or at least did.

Your hourly wages will be less up here but so is the cost of living. Plus you can drink the tap water without any fancy filtration systems and breathing the air isnt like sucking on the tale pipe of a SUV. grin.gif

UPtracker, email me at shiner2367atyahoodotcom if you want.

Our steelies probably run a little smaller than you're used to...I'd say 6 lb avg fish. We do have big deer:)

Thanks Traveler!

Shiner, I'll email you in the AM!

Well, scratch all that. My Dad recently had a stroke and won't be able to live on his own anymore. He's in good spirits and doing ok. Just frustrated he can't walk yet and is still weak on the right side. He'll be fine, but I'm gonna have to stay around here now.

How things can change.

Thanks though guys. I'll still keep you in mind and check in to post and babble a bit!

I wish your dad a fast and full recovery.

Tell your dad he has some MN boys (and even a couple cheeseheads) pulling for him.

I wish a fast and full recovery for your dad, let him know he had lots of people praying for him.