Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ITSATHRILL

Ballards resort

13 posts in this topic

We will be headed up to Ballards on the 7th, the information packet they sent said all rods and tackle are included. Do you bring your own extra poles along when you go and what about lure selections? also would you bring a Vexlar and or aqua-view with?

This is the first time for all of us and not sure what to expect.......

If you have your own rods and tackle and prefer to use that then by all means bring it along. Likewise the Vexilar, as for the camera I don't know how much value it will have as the water here is quite stained. I'm sure you will find the staff at Ballard's very knowledgable and helpful. Hope you have a good trip. Old Sneller

Was at Ballards beginning of February. Great guides! You can take your own Vex if you want to, we also had our own poles, but they do provide the basics, you'll want to bring pliers and such. They provide you with a bucket for the fish as well. The guides do not stay with you in the houses, they check on you periodically. We limited out on our 2nd day, it was fun, and that was when it was -20 degrees, I understand its picked up a bit. You will have a great time. Mer and Ben were our guides, ask them about the 4 women from Fargo, they'll remember! Good luck, you'll have a blast! PS, don't forget to tip the guides!

saturdayscatch3uu0.jpg

Just got back on Friday the 23rd. My first trip and it was absolutely awesome. We took our own poles and Vexilars. Don't bother with the AquaView. For the bomber ride out, pack light (ditty bag with tackel, poles, Vex). The first day, I overdressed and it gets warm in both the bomber and the fish house. They will not let you get caught in bad weather so no need to pack heavy. Do wear waterproof boots. Fishing was great, stay right on the bottom but not more than 4" above - at least that worked best last week. Hope you have a great trip and good fishing.

By the way, the rods they provide are just the cheapies, but they work just as well. Please post after your trip, looking forward to some good reading!

We got back Friday evening from our trip, (3/7-3/9) I would have to rate this as one of the better fishing experiences I have had. The fishing was good, the food and service was excellent along with the accomodations.

I would give them an A+ as far as how well they see to it that everybody leaves feeling they got there $$ worth. I was very saddened though on seeing people stiff the guides and our coach driver on a tip.

Wow...not tipping? Thats not good. What is the deal with people not understanding this? Our host went around with a hat for the tips for the driver. I don't remember anyone not contributing. And as for the guides, they do a great job. People just don't understand those things, I think that sucks! How was the fishing? Any good stories? Did you remember to ask them about the 4 women from Fargo? Who was your guide? Kinda nosy aren't I? Heehee!

Yep, the Ballards crew takes good care of people. All the guides do a good job, but you got lucky with Mer- he's a great guy! He's been a friend of my family's for a long time. I can't wait to get up there in a couple weeks and say howdy to him myself!

The group I was with ended up keeping 20+ fish from the best I can remember, we cought a bunch that we threw back later to find a 11\12" sauger is considered acceptable.......ooops!!!! There were no big walleye caught that I heard of but one gal did catch a perch that was over 16" a little under 3lbs, that thing looked like some kind of mutant!!!! I would have had it mounted or gave it to a taxidermist but they put a knife to it.

Our guide was Waly, he didn't remember the group of gals from Fargo, I didn't talk with any of the other guides because it seemed we were always running behind schedule.

I ended up having more adult beverage then the body likes and felt pretty ruff most of the day Thursday, not good when you are 20 miles out if you know what I mean but by mid afternoon was able to stomache a beer or two.

Did you leave that much of an impression on them, and if so maybe I should hook up with your group next year!!!!

Oh we left an impression, but I'm sure with as many groups as they get up there it was short lived! Mer knows one of the gals I was with. Its a great time for sure, and adult beverages seem to go down pretty good, if you remember to take them out there with you...heehee! I am definitely going next year, we are making it an annual event. Come with the Fargo group if you want, its gonna be smokin!

One of the gals I went with is a cousin of one of the owners or managers of Ballards ... Mer's a great guy, gave me some hot spots down here. Said he has land on South Lida, so I plan on keeping in touch with him.

With you being in the Fargo area have you ever ventured to Devils Lake for the big Perch? we were discussing giving that a try next year as well as making the trip to LOW an annual event.

Never been on Devils Lake, we are planning that the end of next Feb. Or opposite the LOW trip in Feb. I've always wanted to do that trip too!