Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Random guy

Jonny Ps Fishing Report February 27th , 2007

2 posts in this topic

Upper Red lake Fishing Report February 27th , 2007

North shore area

PERCH!!!!! Anglers are finding 9-11 inch perch consistently with 12” fish mixed in the bag. Nine feet of water were the deeper mud bottom turns to gravel/sand bottom along the north shore appears to be the key in locating these fish. As for presentation smaller spoons such as the Custom Jigs Slender Spoons or smaller Forage Minnows rigged with a dropper have been working well as the JB Lures Gem-N-Eye. Tip these lures with a partial minnow or entire smaller minnow. Anglers are also having success with fish in neutral moods using smaller plastic presentations such as Little Atom Nuggies or plastic blood worms on smaller jigs worked against the bottom.

The Crappie bite has taken a temporary slow down due the recent weather conditions and fresh snow cover across the lake. Anglers that have had success are discovering that the Red Lake Crappie is working back into it’s normal habits. Scattered schools throughout the day with major flurries of activity during dusk and several hours after. Red lake has seen a fair amount of snow that has changed the crappies feeding patterns and moods. Once these fish get their bearings and adjust to having the lights off it will be just in time for best ice fishing of the year that comes every March. Crappies have also increased their appetite and are hitting larger targets. Buckshot Spoons, Demons and even smaller Salmo Chubby Darters are putting out fish. Yes I said Salmo Chubby Darters, I watched two guys limit out using chrome/silver colored Chubby Darters when all else failed.

As the Walleye season came to a close the anglers that braved the snow and wind all reported great walleye fishing the last few days of season. Guess “You should have been here last week”. laugh.gif

Have fun and enjoy the outdoors.

Thanks for the report Jonny, much appreciated.