Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Night Time Trout

10 posts in this topic

Has anyone caught any lakers after sunset? I've caught some in the fall at night time, but have never heard of catching them in the winter after dark. I'm just curious wether I'd be wasting my time staying on the ice after the sun goes down.

i believe it is pretty much a waste of time, usaually closer to dark the eel pout tend to bite. but if you should give it a whirl sometime please let us know how it went.

When i was in college we caught some after dark on Burntside we were trying for walleyes. Glow jigs worked the best

I tried it for a while. I put bells on my tip-ups and slept in between them. Only thing I ever caught were eelpout so I gave up. Also, the tip-ups would normally be frozen in the ice by morning even with a foam hole cover so I'd need to use an axe to get them out. I'm not too graceful with an axe and I normally ended up hitting the tip-up.

I'll be staying at the gunflint pines resort on gunflint lake, so I won't be on the lake overnight. I thought I'd give it a try for a couple hours though. We'll see what happens. If anyone else knows anything let me, I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

We've caught a few Lakers in Canada just after dark. I would say as late as 7 pm, but didn't fish much later than that.

I've gotten them in the May but haven't given it much of a try in winter. I'd save yourself for daylight hours.

Oh well, I'm probably in the minority when I say this, but eel pout are fun to catch, so I can settle for a couple of those. Maybe I'll stumble upon a whitefish too, I've only caught those at night.

i love to catch pout, they are one of my many favorite fish.

Many moons ago I did a lot of winter camping for lake trout in the BWCA. One of our areas had a large reef that came up to 5-10 feet (out of 60-80 feet), about 200 yards from our camp.

On nice evenings we'd often trudge out there after supper and spend a couple of hours jigging for lakers, with surprisingly good success. We'd chisel our holes during the daylight hours, and put a couple of sticks up so we could find the holes easily without flashlights.

A crisp moonlit night, with a full belly and a couple of bumps of Snowshoe Grog aboard.... If you've never experienced a lake trout smacking a Swedish pimple or an airplane jig 4 or 5 feet under the ice, all I can say is HOLY CRAP! A very loose drag and a tight grip are necessary...