• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

My fellow outdoorsman/woman!!

fishinpapa

Looking for some advice...My family and I are debating moving to the Monticello/big lake area from shakopee in hopes of moving onto some land. We are have a place in Walker so that makes sense from a trip standpoint. My delimma is that it would be an hour drive to work in Bloomington. Should I let this bother me??? I love woodworking etc.,. and would like to get some kind of shop/large garage.

Any thoughts..

I live in Saint Paul commute to Maple Grove for work. Many of my coworkers live in the Monticello/Big Lake area and commute to Maple Grove. My drive is generally better than theirs. I-94 coming into the cities looks like a parking lot in the mornings. I do know one fellow who lives in Monticello and commutes to Bloomington every day; he gets up at 5:00 a.m. and leaves work at 2:30 or so. If you can’t do this, I wouldn’t recommend the commute. Hope this helps.

Keep in mind gas prices are floating around $2.40 to $2.60 a gallon right now and are sure to keep rising.

My sister in law lives in rock creek and commutes to bloomington.Little over an hour on a good 3 on a bad day,gas expense,wear and tear on vehicles,she loves it up there but has to stay where money is. but she doesnt look at total cost of time in car etc..jmo but id think real hard bout it.

Thats going to be a longer drive than an hour depending on the time you go to work. If it is in the morning there is nothing worse than that strech of 94 by Rodgers and Maple Grove. frown.gif

I do a lot of driving for my job. When I drive up that way in the morning the traffic is "stop and go" for miles. I would suggest some morning and evening that you drive up that way and check for yourself. It is a mess. I would have to make a lot of money and have some flexibility with my schedule to make that commute. You go to work everyday and "up-north" at the most weekly....find some open space down here.

Thanks for the tips..Fortunately I can go in at 6 am and on the summers were off at 10:00 am on Fridays. I just really want some land/workshop SPACE!!!! I am well aware of the situation come fridays during the summer.

Thanks again

I've lived in Big lk for 9yrs. (recently temporarily displaced)If you leave befor 5am it's usualy ok. on the way home? that can vary but getting past cabelas before 3pm is "usualy" safe. There are alternate routes that keep you moving if you have to travell at the bad times. It is getting crowded up there. But, not as bad as Shakopee. Oh they're pretty close. I work in Shakopee sometimes.

I did St Cloud to downtown Minneapolis for a month about 2 years ago after I got married before the wife could move down to Blaine with me. If I left at about 5:45, I'd get there by 6:45. If I left at 6, I wouldn't get there until 7:30. The drive home was always much worse though.

Now I am working out the home and I travel about 20 steps to my office every morning. smile.gif

I would not move that far. You will be driving almost 3 hours per day barring no accidents or weather, but it's up to you.

Commuting from Big Lake to Bloomington is a surefire way to increase your stress level and enjoy life a little less. Nothing like a case of road rage to start out the morning.

My suggestion is to move to Bloomington and be even closer to your work.

Anybody who spends over 2 hours a day in their car commuting is nuts! No offense. That is 2 hours of quality time you can spend with your kids and family, rather than staring at the back of someone's trunk yelling curse words at them and the congestion on metro freeways.

Congestion in the metro would be much less and we wouldn't have to build and expand as many roads if more of the population would live closer to work. But as it is, everyone is criss crossing the cities to have their small patch of grass in the suburbs and their job across town.

There's my rant for the day! smile.gif

my 2 cents- I live in big lake, and work on the U of M east bank campus monday - friday. I also work the early shift, and if I leave by 0500 I'm to work by 0600, and unless there is worse than average inclement weather I get past the Fish Lake Interchange before the traffic stacks up.

That being said I wouldn't like it so much if I worked later in the day.... but early is great. also, it's nice out here when at night you can go outside on a clear night and stargaze like you can never do in the city with all the light pollution.

finally, land value- I was able to get a over a half acre lot and a good sized house for prices that would match a small townhome in the city.

Another way to look at it... how many hours do you spend playing with the kids or enjoying conversation with youre spouse at 5-7 am?... Not many, I bet. So half your commute time is simply listening to radio, not truly "wasted", because the kids and spouse aren't in the picture.

Also, how many people who live "in the city" have to travel AFTER work, to get to where they "play"? I.e. drive 30 minutes or more, AFTER they get done with work, to get to their favorite lake, hunting spot, etc.? If you live where you play, when you get home you are already there.

How cool would it be to get home (even after a long drive) and hop on your ATV for a ride with the kids, who also have their own mini ATV there, because you have land to ride on, or you set up a target range in your back yard? I think very cool. And on weekends, like you mentioned, you are already closer to your cabin, or if you don't want to go, you have your land as your playground.

With that said, I live where I can hunt a short distance away, can hit two great lakes in less than 5 minutes (tops) and I work from home, so my commute only has congestion if I meet my wife in the hallway in the morning wink.gif But I used to go from White Bear to Plymouth every day (35 miles one way), and I was pretty used to it back then. Occassionally it was bad, but now with 694 fixed, holy cow that trip is nothing even in the heart of rush hour.

...but I am not sure if I would do it again... unless I could shot from my deck, and had fishing 5 minutes away, or I lived on a lake. And the cost of gas should really be calculated, and figure in plenty of oil changes and tires, as I was doing over 15,000 miles per year JUST FOR WORK!!!

Good luck, and driving it in both morning and evening rush hour would be good idea, even if you do go in early, so you know the worst of it. I bet 94 out there gets widened in the coming years.

I actually did the Monti to Bloomington trip for a couple of years. Then did Becker to Bloomington for 6 months before our office moved to Plymouth. Fortunately my hours are flexible and it is roughly 45 minutes. As was pointed out earlier if you are able to get in early in the morning, it isn't bad. Now that they have completed most of the work on 494 south of 55, the traffic is totally manageable. As with anywhere in the metro, bad weather creates some headaches. If you are able to leave early on Friday, you will be in good shape. Not only will your drive to the cabin be shorter on the way there, you can stay that much longer before you have to head home.

Call me nuts, but the peace and quiet once I am home is worth the drive.

Quote:

Now that they have completed most of the work on 494 south of 55, the traffic is totally manageable.

The problem is from Rogers down to Bass Lake Road when coming into the cities. Huge bottleneck at Hwy 55 going north on 494. I think the new construction just shifted the problem further north when heading that direction.

Been driving Maple Grove to Eden Prairie coming up on 8 years. I wouldn't want to drive any further than you have to. I'd keep the commute from Shakopee and get out of town early on Fridays to the cabin.

I agree Hanson, I wish people would live closer to where they work. My way of thinking is if your going to work in the cities live down there. To me its just a waste of time to drive 2-3 hours a day just to go to work. Plus it just saddens me to see all this development and people building in the middle of a nice woods or farm field ruining it for many years. I grew up on a 40 acre hobby farm by Foley and its frightening that even here alot of people are starting to build so they can have their "own piece of country" and then drive down to the cities to work, when in the end its all going to look like another suburb in 10 years. Now I am young yet and just finishing up college at Bemidji State, but everytime I come back home I just get disgusted with all the building, and land being ruined. So I hope to find a job anywhere north of Brainerd, and live up there so I can get away from all that.

I think it might be hard for all of you who live in the cities to understand what I am saying, but as for growing up in central minnesota, being a local (St. Cloud, Mille Lacs area) I feel clustered when I am down here, because everything is getting built up! While the last 5 years living up by Bemidji (2 yrs in dorms over looking Lake Bemidji)+(3 yrs. living on a lake) I mean you can't beat that. I'm trying to relate on what BoxMN said that he's willing to travel so he can live close to where he plays. Thats how I feel and my desire to live up north, because frankly it sucks to live in central minnesota and to be an outdoorsman. No public land to hunt on, all private, and closest lake to me is a 30-40 min drive, compared to up at college I am surrounded by all kinds of public land to bow hunt and I live on a lake connected to 4 other lakes, so its get home and boom I'm in the boat or on the ice already fishing! Also being in the Bemidji area I am already surrounded by 20-30 other lakes less than 20 minutes away! Same scenerio for Walker area, Park Rapids, Grand Rapids, Brainerd, etc. It boils down to your priorities if you want to make the big money then live down here by St. Cloud or the cities and commute, but if you want to live by awsome fishing and hunting you have to hack it and not expect to make alot of money up there.

Thanks for reading my rant, and being off base of the topic at hand, but I mean is it really worth to live in Big Lake and then drive to Bloomington everyday?? Same goes for people who built by Foley and drive down to Mpls/St.Paul. In my opinion NO, but there are other options you could look at too. You gotta weigh your options and check your priorities and see what best fits you. If getting to your cabin every weekend is important to you then live in Big Lake if its feasable. Otherwise move closer to Bloomington or dont expect to get there every weekend or live closer to your cabin and find another job.

Gills, I am a little confused by your reasoning. How can you fault someone for moving out to find their "own piece of country"? Growing up in the area, you realize the benefit of being away from the masses. Yes the metro is expanding, it is they way it goes. I moved outside of the metro to get away from the madness. Just working there is enough for me. No way do I want to live somewhere that I can spit out my window and hit the neighbors house. Working in the metro is what some of us have to do to afford our "own piece of country" and do the things we like to do, i.e. fish, hunt, etc.

I went to BSU as well, and was spoiled during that time. Maybe thats why I extended my college years as long as I did. There is nothing like having your choice of about a hundred lakes to fish at the end of the day, or even all day. Hence the extended stay. In the end it was a financial decision to live near the cities. When I moved back the income doubled immediately.

No offense meant by my reply. Just trying to give a little perspective from a guy who grow up outside the cities and fellow Beaver, who has made the decision to work in the cities and reside on the outside.

P.S. where are you living, Turtle River?

I lived in Welch on 40 acres and drove to St Paul for 2 years. It was 50 miles and one hour one way with no traffic or weather issues, which was most days. I could not do it. I could not imagine making that trip with traffic every day.

I always felt that at about 45 minutes it was not so bad, but after that it sucked.

Quote:

Look out the window and think about that drive on a day like today...

I hear ya.

I made the commute from Coon Rapids to Golden Valley for about a year, which is only 20 some miles. Every time it snowed more than 6", that drive took 2 1/2 to 3 hours stop & go, bumper to bumper the entire way.

I also had worked with a guy who drove from Cambridge. We started a little contest in the office to see what time he would make it to work. I think he spent over 4 hours in the car coming 1 way that one morning. He worked for 2 hours, turned around and went home citing that traffic would be bad. Ya think! smile.gif

No Doc I don't take offense, I know the cities is expanding and there really isn't anything a guy can do. At least you know where I am coming from, I am trying to find an internship in the St. Cloud area but its tough for my major, Doc what was your major at BSU and how many years did you go there for? I guess a guy is spoiled when he is up there, how did you feel once you moved away from there Doc? In a way I feel lost and disappointed because chances are I won't be able to live up there ever again, not with land prices, home prices and basic cost of everything always going up. I am realizing how nice it was when I could fish 4-7 times a week, and now I am turning into a "weekender" and maybe only get out 1-2 times a month! And with how much it costs to even hunt or fish, no wonder my age group 18-30 is declining in overall numbers for deer hunters and fisherman. Don't get me wrong I am an avid fisherman and after getting into bow hunting with rifle season, its mind boggling when or if I will have the time to even do these things once I work full time (getting established in the work force) and if I will be able to afford and make the trips up north or just reside there. I think personally I'll have to take a break or stop deer hunting or fishing for a while just so I can make money and save up for land or a home. Even though I dislike cities and hate driving down there I might have to deal so that I can make some money.

Doc no I don't live on TRL, I've been on BTL for the last 3 years, and I don't regret it even once for living that far away from campus 10-12 miles. Also living in Tamarack on 10th floor over looking Lake Bemidji was awesome, I think I've seen some of the most beautiful sunsets and sunrises while living up there. Seeing and hear bald eagles regularly and loons put you to sleep at night by the bondfire while have a few (12 pack) beers. Worrying about seeing more deer and hitting one with the vehicle than seeing another car! Also nothing like having a lake to yourself most days, or being the first on a lake during ice season before everyone else, and to catch nice fish with no crowds of people or 10 boats around you most of the time year around. Thats what gets my blood pumping and being up there makes me more free than anywhere else and you feel like you have nothing but time to get in your way!

Well...you all have given me alot to think about!! Unfortunately the main problem now is the housing market. To keep things in perspective it will cost about$30,000 to make this move between comissions and fees and taxes and taxes and fees well you understand. However as my wife and I both grew up on a farm and have "space" I know we would enjoy the quiet evenings and the weekends "alone". Were finding that the suburbs are about and snotty and snuutty and they get. Plus is it just me or do people in the burbs not have any toys!!!!!! As far as traffic, if it's bad like today you take a 1/2 vac. and burn it that way. All I know is when I go out to my buddies in Glencoe and ride wheelers and shoot his rifles and bows...(Contact Us Please) thats nice. More than likely I'll stay in shakopee for a while and see how this summer goes. Do I dare mention I have a job offer for me in park rapids and $40,000 a year and am still contemplating that!! God I need a drink. Thanks for the tips and come on open water!!!!!!!!!!!!

Papa I hear what your saying. If I was you I'd take the job in Park Rapids in a heart beat, if it would work out for ya. 40K and to live by Park Rapids and to be able to fish those lakes let alone your just a hop & skip away from Bemidji and Walker, wow! What kind of job is it?? just kidding. Hopefully you find out whats best for you and your family, don't get me wrong Big Lake is a nice area, with the hardwoods and sandysoil fields. Its on the edge of being a suburb but still has its rural town roots.

I was going to mention, why don't you look out around Norwood? Closer to Shakopee and easier commute and you just pop up Hwy 25 to 94 to get up north, rather than do that Maple Grove to Albertville fiasco every Fri.

Here is the answer to your question, just go back to school and become a pharmicist/dentist/nurse/etc, then you can make all kinds of money anywhere in the state you want to live.

Become a computer geek like me your pretty much limited to being stuck down here. Wish I had my college years back now, might have chosen a different path, bummer.

I live in Big Lake and work in Brooklyn Park.

If I leave at 6am, I get to work by 6:40. If I leave at 6:10am, I get to work at about 7:20.

If you leave there at 3:20, you'll be home by 4pm, if you leave at 3:30, you're home around 4:30.

If it snows, stay home.

I take 81 from Rogers into Maple Grove.

Friday's during the summer, expect a 2 hour commute.

I live in a new develoment in Big Lake. Most homes around me have 1 acre of land. And most vacant homes have been forclosed...Why? Because everyone moved here to save $35,000-$100,000 on a lot and decent house thinking they'd make the commute. Then gas went from $1.59 a gallon to $2.59 a gallon and...Yeah.

I used to live in Blaine. The commute costs me an extra $70 a week now. That's almost $300 a month! And thats just for gas. (Driving the fishing rig everyday isn't ideal, I know...)

Road rage? Don't even get me started.

Work as a fisherman. That's my .02

I currently live in Annandale and commute to Blaine which is about 55 miles one way. I have done this more about 13 months and before this I commuted from Buffalo to Blaine for 4 years or so, which was about 40 mile. When there is no traffic I can make the drive in about an hour. During rush hour it take closer to 1.5 hours. Days like yesterday and today......well I won't go there. It cost me about $14 a day in gas at todays prices. After that said, I like living where I do. I am close to lakes and hunting opportunities. My kids can enjoy a small town atmophere where there is at least a little less to be worried about. So I guess what you should ask yourself is living where you want worth a couple extra hours a day driving. In my opinion it is.

I know ranger it has crossed my mind, going into the medical field like physical therapy, there are a few two year programs in the state that have that. The major I am in now is sport management and its pretty limited in this state, especially rural MN. Lol should of just went to school to be a plumber or electrician!

Gills,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. Too busy enjoying the long weekend.

I actually went to school to be a teacher, imagine that, a teacher from BSU. No where near the teaching profession now. Life has many changes. I was in Bemidji from '92-'98. I thought many times how great it would be to live up there, but like I said, many changes. Once kids came along, my fishing/hunting opportunities were limited. Fortunately my son is getting old enough to get me a few more passes every year.

Reading thru all the replies, it is clear there is no simple answer to the original question. Everybody has there limits on how much they will spend or how far they will drive. Here's to having a choice!!!!!!!!!!