Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Northland Sportsman

Camper/Fish House Heater ?

7 posts in this topic

I have an older pull behind camper that I am planning to convert ot a fish house. I am having truoble with the heater. the pilot lights and stys lit, but when I turn on the stove it kind of poofs and goes out. It almost seems like it blows itself out. I tried blowing some air in there to clean things out but it didn't help. Anybody have any suggestions? it is a vented heater with no blower. Anyone know where to get a used furnace from and RV salvage yard or somewhere like that? Thanks for any help!

Anybody?

There are three possibilities. 1. The thermocouple is not allowing the gas valve to open up. It is a really easy fix and should not cost you more than $10-$15 for the part. 2. It is possible the gas valve is bad, but that is usually not the case. 3. The pressure regulator in the tank is not allowing sufficient gas pressure for the main burner to kick in. If it were me I would try a different regulator first if you have another one lying around or can borrow from someone. Then I would try the thermocouple. If it is the gas valve, the expense of replacing is probably too excessive.

I had one years ago that did something like that. There should be some kind of orifice in the bottom of it which sprays a stream of gas into some kind of burner. There will be holes in the tube which the orifice is spraying into. The idea is to draw air in with the stream of gas. The mixture is what burns at the burner.

The problem with the old models is the piece that has the orifice in it is iron and the orifice will rust shut over time. If is not completely rusted shut you get gas just dribbling into the chamber instead of spraying into the burner. When enough builds up, poof, burns up all the air in the chamber and blows the pilot out.

The other malady that plagues those things is a spider web in the tube that leads to the burner, blocks most of the spray and you get the same effect.

I used to drill mine out when it rusted, but that could be risky if you dont drill it the right size, might run to hot, burn your shack down.

Fire bad.

I had one like that in an old camper and It would have cost more than it was worth to repair it. I went to an RV dealer and they wouldn't sell me one because of liability issues. I bought a used one from a propane dealer. Might be worth a try.

I converted a camper to an ice house an took out the furnace an replaced it with a wall mount vent free keeping good ventilation at all times, I just dont trust those older camper funaces, to many unhappy stories. Boar

Thanks for the replies everybody. I am going to try to take it apart this weekend and see if it is plugged or something. If I can't fix it or find a similar replacement, I will have to bite the bullet and get a new furnace. Again, thanks for the tips and suggestions!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• kayakfisherman
      Hi guys!  I used to be on this site long ago (participating mostly in the Mille Lacs forum), and the system wouldn't recognize my email.  So I created a new user name.   I'm planning to spend May and June in Ely.  My project is to autochart and create maps of a few small lakes I like off the Echo Trail, which I'll do via my Helix I have mounted on my bright orange fishing kayak.   I don't need any advice, as I pretty much know the area and what works to catch fish.  I'm just looking to possibly connect with other Ely anglers while I'm up there.  I'm tentatively planning on starting next week, assuming the "wintery mix" and wind in the forecast abates.  I'll be paddling around a bunch of different small lakes, going back and forth and back and forth, listening to either WELY or WEVE on my radio.  So if you see me, stop by and say hey.
    • huntnfish
      First off, welcome to the site. The Red River page gets kind of quiet but if you look back at previous posts there's a lot of good info. I've never fished much for cats but when I have I have always used cut up goldeye. I've also heard frogs are good but I have no first hand experience with that.    1- I feel that the fishery in Fargo is excellent and overlooked by a lot of people. The biggest eyes that I've caught have been on the river.  2,3- I normally use a chartreuse twister tail on the river with a jig head. The main reason for the color choice is because that is what I have an abundance of. I've caught them on white and yellow also. I don't use live bait at all unless the kids are along. They're not really able to do much pitch and retrieve yet and the minnows give them a little better chance I feel.  4- the only thing I've used is cut bait so I'd recommend finding some gold eyes or some suckers and chunk them up for bait.  5- last time I looked the ND NR license was something like $35.    My biggest tip for the river and pitching jigs would be that if you aren't getting snagged once in a while your jig is too light. Hung up too often and you are too heavy. I'm normally in the 1/8-1/4 ounce range. I have also caught a bunch of fish pitching cranks. I wasn't a believer until I watched Ed Carlson fish next to me and reel in fish while I kept on pitching my jig and not getting anything. Try something that's got a nice wide wobble. And if you are going to toss anything into the river be sure to remember that anything thats tied onto that line may not come back. I have donated lots of tackle to the old river gods over the years but I have also been rewarded with a lot of fish and some real dandies. These river fish have a lot of fight in them.     Remember that if you're keeping any walleyes or sauger on the red is that the limit is less than the MN and ND bag limit. I have seen more than one person ticketed at the north dam with their stringer of 4 eyes.     
    • eyeguy 54
      Hit the secret beach on the sippi for a couple hours today with some crawlers. wind was pretty crazy. smally bit first then a sucker. then caught 4 eyes and decided to leave. a young guy came down while I was fishing and was casting a spinnerbait and I asked him what he was after. he said bass so I let him know that it is illegal to target them and eyes till next month and that the game warden watches people in the area quite often. He said he had no idea he could not fish for them, thanked me and said he wont cast anymore. nice young guy. I bet he will be down again with some crawlers. 
    • SkunkedAgain
      I've seen a lot of people dragging raps for "crappies" before the opener
    • monstermoose78
      Bummer Erik