• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Vehicles through the ice

Just a word of caution to be safe out there and use caution and common sense out there on the ice. A vehicle went though on the sandbar between Big and Little Detroit this either last night or this morning. This is a known area of poor ice every season.

I also heard reports on Big Cormorant having vehicle(s) through the ice from the local CO.

With the increased weight of the snowpack on the ice, in addition to increased UV light, and warmer temps and its associated snowmelt runoff this time of year, the ice is highly stressed. Use caution around areas of in/outflow and high currents, as well as areas with emergent vegetation and public accesses. These are the first areas to start deteriorating...

quick update:

two vehicles went through the ice on big/little detroit. on my way home from work today, a co-worker and I checked it out on our sleds. One area is marked by a christmas tree; the other area is about 25 yards south of the marked tree.