• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Lake Trout Legislation

I was informed yesterday that there was be a hearing in Representative Dill's house committee (State Office Building Room 10) to discuss expanding lake trout harvest on Lake Superior by commercial operators. The original bill was proposed by the DNR and then removed from the plan. My understanding is that Rep. Dill (and Sen. Bakk) will be proposing language that would basically allow the level of expanded lake trout harvest identified in a draft of the Lake Superior plan.

If you are against the expanded commercial netting I would suggest that you contact your elected officials and let them now so they can vote accordingly

Be sure that you specify what legislation you are opposing, if doing so, as there may be some confusion in what you heard!

Rep. Dill was going to try and get the trout season in the entire Arrowhead of Minnesota (Cook, Lake, and St. Louis counties) extended, Dec 1st. or Jan 1st through Sept. 30th, with no closure in April or the first two weeks of May.

The head of fisheries in Ely tried to do this about 15 years ago or so, and the DNR would not even discuss it with him, no reason for denial given! There is too much information to discuss on the forum, so for details as I know them, call me at 218-365-4744. I have been in contact with Rep. Dill and am familiar with the situation.

I realize there is more then one thing that will be going into this bill. I just wanted to make sure that people knew that they were also going to try and expand commercial netting. Like the DNR was trying to do last year before they pulled the plug on it

Quote:

Dill was going to try and get the trout season in the entire Arrowhead of Minnesota (Cook, Lake, and St. Louis counties) extended, Dec 1st. or Jan 1st through Sept. 30th, with no closure in April or the first two weeks of May.

This is what its like in Canada, and the fishing is great there!

Quote:

Blaine, nice ski. Did one of your customers get it?

Thanks, it was from a Canada trip that CashCrews and I went on. 45 feet of water jigging for Trout.

It is so incredibly rediculous that trout season opens Jan 15-WHY, WHY, WHY??? It should be open from Dec 1st right on through until the fall. It is so retarded that it is closed from March 15th-May- It makes no sense! I sincerely hope that this can be changed in the legislature. We really need a niche in this area to bring fisherman up here and that is TROUT!!! We have really good fishing for other species in the Ely-N.Shore area, but Trout is what most people are after when they come here. We have so much to offer up here and the season is way too short-and for what? How many of you die hards are going up to Canada to fish Lakers after March 15th? I know I am!! Why send those dollars across the border when they can stay right here in northeastern MN where buisnesses could use some extra dollars in March and April??

Just my two cents, I am sure that there are alot of you guys out there that feel the same way-great discussion!

Justin

Here is a little information on what we're looking for as far as the trout season extension. December 1st-September 30th open, keeping it the same as Lake Superior. There are 247 trout lakes, both stream and lake trout, in Cook, Lake, and St. Louis County. By keeping them all open will alleviate pressure, though some lakes would be more popular than others. It sounds as though the DNR may fight this. Let's see what happens, and if need be, start a major letter writing campaign. I'll keep you guys and gals posted on the progress when I hear from Rep. Dill.

Let's let him try all avenues before we get too involved.

Quote:

Blaine, nice ski. Did one of your customers get it? I agree the season should be extended.

Is that a salmon or trout on your avatar

gunflint

When this trout season extension was proposed to the DNR about 15+ years ago, they gave no reason. Mark Heywood,former head of fisheries in Ely, went to St. Paul and requested it. He stated upon his return, "They would not give us the time of day, they would not discuss it. There is no reason to have it closed during the spring!"