Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dilleyo

Question

7 posts in this topic

I have some leftover shiners and was wondering if I went out to Lake Elmo and put them on a tip-up to try to catch trout if I could get into trouble since pike/walleye season is over. I have never ice fished trout and not sure what to use for bait and I figured I'd get some use out of the shiners I bought. I just hate throwing them away especially when I actually got them to live longer than a couple of hours. Also, has anyone fished out there this year? Any advice is appreciated and thanks in advance.

As long as you say your fishing for trout there's nothing they can do. You might get a brown trout if you can find them. Rainbows aren't much of a minnow eater though. You probably don't want to go all the way to the BWCA to get rid of your shiners on lake trout, but you could drive to hinckley and fish grindstone lake. That's full of lakers and rainbows.

I was just wondering because if I was using a tip-up with a shiner it looks like I'm fishing for out of season fish. I don't have any free time to go to Grindstone before the 15th and definetly don't have free time to go to BWCA...so I might just throw the shiners out to be on the safe side. Thanks for the info.

If you have an extra refrigerator in the basement or something like that you can just keep them there. I keep my minnows in the fridge and I've been able to keep them alive for months.

I don't have an extra fridge, so I think I might just see how long they last in my bucket and maybe I gan get out to Grindstone in the near future.

Well since you don't have an extra fridge, you can just keep them in your minnow bucket, but you just need to remember to continue putting ice cubes in the water to keep it fresh!! They LOVE it!!!

I stopped in a local pet store and bought a small $10 aerator with the rubber hose. I just change the water every couple days and they do just fine.