Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
youngie22

Lucky Me

8 posts in this topic

I have a chance to get to the north shore area this weekend. Wondering if it is worth bring up my shore poles. I am sure the streams are locked up; but is it worth packing the gear in case if a sunny calm day to sit on the shore line? Any streams showing signs of opening up at all?? maybe I should check-in closer to the weekend.

As of Sat the North Shore was all locked up and with the 14+ inches of snow we got on Sunday I would say no to shore poles. I am heading up there for work tomorrow so I will repost if no one else does first.

It hasn't changed since yesterday, we are locked up past Two Harbors. Looked pretty crazy out there with the ice piles today.

ya never know what will happen w/ the weather, probably a long shot but I'll have check in again before I have to pack and leave. thanx for the info sofar.

Grand Marais was locked up yesterday.

Inland Trout Season is still open. Bring your ice gear.

yes, that is option 2 for me I think. Really got an itch for some open water Loopers on a big pole. I know it would be fun to catch some lakers but not really sure where to start. Never targeted them before, and seems a little overwhelming w/ no experience. I am pretty well set up for walleye, pike, and panfish through the ice though. Is there a lake or two a couple of novices could try for a laker w/ walleye gear? Is there somewhere that is easy to acces w/ full size 4x4 truck? If its warm a nice hike to really good lake would be great if portables aren't necessary. I know that I will enjoy the time away no matter what happens. May need to do some exploring, maybe do some scouting for this spring/ summer. If things change up there. please post, thanx for the help so far.

If all you have is panfish gear than go to some of the designated stream trout lakes. Are gonna be in grand marais? The most accessible lakes are Mink, Kimball, and Trout Lakes. They're full of splake and rainbows. If you have a tip up, that's all you'll need for lake trout. Head to Gunflint or Loon Lake. Jig deep with a sucker minnow on the bottom, then set your tip up with a frozen cisco a few feet off the bottom.