Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elbinowalleye

CRAPPIES on MILTONA????

12 posts in this topic

Wondering if its worth trying a weekend of crappie fishing on miltona. Any ideas of how deep to fish?

I'm new to the area as well, and have been thinking about the same thing (trying to find some crappie action on Miltona). I might be going up there this weekend, but I haven't decided yet. Let me know if you hear anything. Also, if you do go up there the local bait shops are always a good place to stop. If I go up, i'll let you know how we do. If you go up, please let me know how you do. You can send me an e-mail at hoopstar0@hotmail.com

As a general trend on a bigger/deep lake, I would guess that the crappies are still pretty deep.

I will be up there this weekend for sure and will be glad to let you know how we do. We will be looking for deep water 30 to 40ft and see how we do. We have done well the last month for walleyes, but with the season over I will try my luck with some crappies. See ya out there

Sounds good, where are you heading out from?

I have a cabin on the North side of the lake. Sandy beach road. Going to drill alot of holes saturday and see what we find on the aqua view. Sounds like its going to be windy out there again.

Small world after all. My parents just bought a place on sandy beach road. Maybe sometime we'll have to meet up.

As in most lakes this time of year.

Look for the deeper mud bottom holes with in the flats. If you have a lake master map, you can see quite a few of these 25-35 foot holes on Milty. They can be anywhere but they tend to congregate to these holes making it easier for you to find them. the north side of the lake is usually better.

Hey elbinowalleye,

Did you make it out on Miltona this weekend? We decided not to go, as the weather was pretty bad on Friday when we wanted to leave. Anyways, I was just wondering how the fishing was. Also, is anybody plowing roads? or was it pretty difficult to navigate?

Thanks in advance.

We managaed to get out there on a 4 wheeler, but it wasn't easy. We basically waited until the snowmobilers got out there and started packing the snow down, then it was easy. Got out to some holes on the North side flats and did pretty well. Alot of perch of course. Dozen or so crappies and even a few eyes which we threw back right away. They were a nice suprise and fun to catch on Crappie jigs and 2 pound test line. I think we had the whole lake to ourselves. It was great! Good Luck if you go this weekend. If you have sled you are money, but a wheeler works too. Sorry for this novel.

Yeah I know all about the perch, we were up a couple weekends ago, and couldn't keep our lines away from them. Looks like we will be heading out in a wheeler, so hopefully by next weekend it will be easier to navigate. How deep were the holes you were fishing in? Thanks for all the info, I don't have my H2O yet so I'm thinking that it might be a challenge to find the holes along the flats.

25 to 30 fow. Yeah the perch get old fast. Wish they were at least bigger. By next weekend it should be easier to navigate around out there. You will defaintly want a gps to find these holes. Makes it real easy then. Let me know how you do. Probably won't be up next till opener and or muskie opener.