• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

The greenies are stacking on the Lake already and it isn't March yet. On Sat of the 8 on the ice (lost alot in the hole) there was only 3 small enough to bring home.

Lots of snow and drifts on the Lake so travel is probably best via sled or quad.

Unless there is a real strong wind my time will be spent on the Lake from now until end of March.

Thanks for the info Canuck! I'm headed up there with a couple of buddies and stay at Cats on the Red with Stu over March 16-17-18th. Lots of snow on the lake you say....recommending we bring up sleds?

What type of lures should we have in our arsenal?

Brandon, for sure you'll need sleds or ATV's, there's plenty of snow cover on the lake.

As for lures make sure you have a good cross section of lead heads, plus an assortment of jigging lures such as Salmo's Chubby Darters. Last but not least you'll need an assortment of jigging spoons such as Northland Tackle's "Buckshot Rattles", Swedish Pimples and any light weight flutter spoons that you can find. Spoon style lures can be deadly on the lake. The fact that you're fishing a lake and no current, you can fish ultra-light flutter spoons which can produce deadly results.

We're just getting ready to head out on the lake this morning and again on Friday.........stay-tuned!

Sleds & 4-wheelers eh?! We were hoping to leave those home, pack up the Silverado and head up....pack light Not the case anymore.

I have a few more general questions for you, about spoon types. You said the slender spoons or light flutter type spoons work well. Would you be able to give us a name of place on the way up to your place (that carries a good assortment of these types) to pick up OR do you think we should order over the internet?

Brandon, you can pick the lures in Selkirk!

As for the lake and current snow conditions, right now there's ton of snow on the lake! An ATV on wheels wouldn't cut it out there, but things will change as the weeks go by.

I'll keep you updated on snow conditions!

Things were very interesting on the lake today. A dozen 'eyes landed (nothing big) followed by a couple of perch, one sauger and two small pike. Things got absolutely stupid late in the afternoon! crazy.gif Between my buddy and I, we hooked into seven very large fish. We both agreed that at least six of the seven were very large pike, one might have been a very large 'eye. Of the seven fish hooked, not a single fish was landed!!! frown.gif It was a simple case of not having tackle that was capable of handling really big fish! We're heading back out there on Friday....what are the odds we'll be better prepaired! Hopefully we'll have some descent pic's to post!

Always seems to happen that way.. then when you do gear up ya never even get a bite.. good luck though

Not a lot to report from Friday's outing, the cold weather and strong northerly winds made for tough conditions and a sluggish bite. The most damaging factor was due to the high winds. We were confined to one location after setting up, we simply could not move around. Total catch, four 'eyes, one perch and four pike with the largest around twelve to thirteen pounds.

100_0237.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming up on the 23rd with my son and a group of guys to fish walleyes. We are staying at cats on the red and i have never been up there before. What is the best way to get around on the lake? Do i need my four-wheeler or can you get around in truck? Do you need an extention on your auger? Any info would be great.

Tram: I travel at this time of year via sled. There is about 14 to 16" of snow and then the snow drifts. Some people are using their vehicles 4 X 4 but there is no way I am going to. You have to have some mother of a 4 X 4 and a sled makes movement that much easier.

A quad may get you around. I was out on Friday and saw several quads out but the snow was frozen like ice and the quad kept up ontop. Stu uses his quad but he has tracks on it.

If U are staying at Stu's U WILL have an unbelievable time, it crazy out there right now. Infact I am headed out in about half an hr. Probably will see U out there next weekend.

The bite has been incredible for the past couple of days. A group of Stu's clients, then Stu and his friend Esso hammered the greenbacks on Friday and Saturday. Here's some St. Patties green for the good FM folks.

Come and get em.

100_0226.jpg

100_0235.jpg

100_0240.jpg

100_0245.jpg

Eddy, only U have yourself to blame, we warned YOU. Maybe we should have said more about how good was going to be but some people think we are blowing smoke, but this march has been unbelievable. Actually Esso caught 2 larger fish on Sunday a 12 & 13. I think he iced 4 trophies this weekend alone, and I will just say "he missed" several other trophies.

There are only 2 more weekends to trully have a chance of icing a trophy walleye and there is so little pressure on the Lake. I don't think there is anything nicer to look at than a true green back coming out of the water, their colour is unbelievable.

Thanks for the info guys, i think i will bring my sleds. I was wondering one other thing, Does live bait work well this time of the year? If so, where can we get some in the area because we are coming up from MN and we can't bring our own. Last year my friend that was up there could not find live bait anywhere.

Tram, Forget about live bait, it's perfectly legal, but totally unnecessary! Salted emerales tipped on a variety of jigs and lures is all you need, trust me! wink.gif

Sleds and or wheelers is the way to travel. I've been working an area that hasn't been receiving anything in the way of angling pressure. Then again, this could apply to the entire lake!

Make sure to bring along water proof boots, please pass that along to the rest of the crew.

See you soon.

Yo Boys, smile big in the pics. And keep them coming. The only fishing i am getting right now is checking fishing reports. I wish i was heading north. Good luck Nooner

Ya...I know it's no smoke Canuck, there be huge Greenbacks on the prowl, that I am certain.

Now...if I can just get away is the deal. I am trying to schedule it so maybe this weekend I can run North. If I can...and if is the ^#$ key word...I'll try to catch up to the gang headed out.

Them big lake run sumo's are even swim'n in my dreams these nights..those pics don't help much either. Really makes keeping my mind on work a chore Eh.

That looks like a blast. I have going to have to get more information for next year and give it a try.

Ed, I'm just heading out the door bound for the lake. Hopefully you can make it up here this weekend. By the way, one guy dropped out of the Reed Lake lake trout trip, do you want it?

HEY BOYS,

IT IS PRETTY TOUGH TO WORK KNOWING THAT IN LESS THAN 2 DAYS I WILL BE UP ON THAT BE ON THE LAKE. WITH THE WEATHER OF THE PAST 2 DAYS ARE SNOWMOBLIES STILL THE CHOICE OR WOULD IT BE BETTER TO BRING THE 4 WHEELERS. ANY INFO WOULD BE APPRECIATED. SEE YOU TOMMOROW NIGHT AT THE LODGE.

After today, the most effective way to travel is in your 4x4 vehicle.

When we arrived in the general area that we've been working these past few days, there was two Chevy pick-ups on the ice. The snow has melted considerably whichs makes access possible via 4x4 trucks. This is the way to travel! The weekend weather forecast is calling for temps in the high forties to low fifties. This should work in our favor!

Three of us fishing today, thirty one walleye iced, two were eight plus pounds.

stu's gone up to reed lake

sunday for us 2-29+ and 1 31+

yesterday evening 1-29+

ice is getting soft

quads on friday and saturday

still good numbers and big fish to boot. In the last week I have caught 9 fish over 28". Best trophy ice fishing for Walleye I have ever seen.