Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
eyesonly

Bringing little kids up to URL

16 posts in this topic

Has anyone brought their little boys or girls up to red and stayed in a sleeper for at least a two day trip. I'm taking my four and eight year old boys up to red for the youngest birthday and was looking for any suggestions on how to keep them Busy besides the usual snacks and movies -any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know it wont be a prob when the fish are on the bite but I know they wont be snapping for two days straight-Thanks

My grandsons are 7 and 10. A couple of board games, maybe, and above all else let 'em get outside with a ball.

If you're working to get them fired up on the fishing, then ya gotta take into account that maybe the fishing isn't what they'll remember most about the trip. grin.gif

Take 'em to West Winds for breakfast and eye the crappie mounts. cool.gif

Keep the window cracked open in the house and make sure ya got a barf bucket handy. crazy.gif

I take my two boys alot as well as my friend's kids when they come. Mine are 1 & 3 and the other kids that I have taken with are usually just a little older. Movies and snacks. Its a little work, and two days is enough for them. Let them scoop minnows from one bucket to another.

Build an igloo out of snow.

Help bank the house.

Move snow drifts over three feet.

DVD player.

Underwater cameras are great for kids.

Contest for first fish.

Jon, If the kids build the igloo will the DNR want the drivers license number or fish house license on that semi-perm house??

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

i let my two boys talk me into lettin them bring there gameboys up when i took them a month ago. needless to say one of them was sacrificed to the lake shocked.gif. thank god kelly and jon had us over some crappies, so they were to busy watchin there bobbers goin down anyway cool.gif here's a picture of one of the 15 crappies my 8 and 7 year olds iced that weekend.

cartercrap-1.jpg

Minimite,

I recognize that house! No wonder my son (14 years old) kept dancing around in the house---he was hearing video games and they weren't quite meeting his daily dosage!! He was getting his "fix" it just wasn't quite enough to keep him in his seat.

Honest truth is he is a very good fisherman and really focuses but we had along his 16 year cousin who can get a bit "antsy" at times.

We played a game of Texas Hold-em during the evening as well just to take the focus off of the bobbers and graphs. Unfortunately our first 20 hours in the house were on the slow side but we did catch a nice northern and some slot walleyes so we stayed kind of busy. Next morning heated up a bit more and a few crappies hit the bucket and some more walleyes. Would have loved to see 15 crappies but 3 was more than any of us had caught before in that size range!

I really want to bring my boys 5&7 and maybe the wife up to URL. After hearing all the horror stories of bad sleepers my friends have come across through out the state. It just makes me really nervous. Frezzing without lights or bad fumes with kids really worries me. I really want to get them into a couple of slabs.

Contact Kelly or Jon Petrowske, you will have no worries in one of their sleepers. You may have to go during the week though cause I think all their weekends are booked up. Good luck.

Quote:

Jon, If the kids build the igloo will the DNR want the drivers license number or fish house license on that semi-perm house??

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

I'm guessing that will have to be DNR number since the kids don't have drivers licenses. grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Quote:

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Put a mail box up out front. That way it's their home. grin.gif Forget it,,,,,,,,,,now we're into property taxes. frown.gif

LOL. The evidence will be melted down before taxes are due. laugh.gif

This is Beltrami county, they will be on site looking for a building permit during construction and making sure no one lights up a smoke inside since it is on public waters. grin.gif

they'll probably want the design certified by an engineer.

I'll do it. laugh.gif

Wouldn't Beltrami County need to give you a wetlands variance being it's on the lake? Though according to them, the lake is the driest part of the county! confused.gif hehehe

Good Luck!

Ken

Oh ya high water mark, can't drive below the high water mark...unless you are on a state trail and have the trail sticker.

Thats it, I'm out of the igloo construction biz, to much red tape. laugh.gif