Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
ellroy2

GPS lake contours

ellroy2

Is there any GPS handheld mapping software available that has depth contours of some of the smaller lakes in the area(Sybil, Crystal, Loon)? I am looking on getting a handheld but am not sure how detailed some of the maps are.

Chuckster

Get the H2O or H20c and I dont think you will be disappointed. The H2Oc usually runs about a 100 bucks more. Use this with the Navionics maps and you should be able to view even the smaller lakes. I saw on the Cabela's website that they have a pretty good deal on the H2O.

kokke

The Lowrance H2Oc is the way to go, I've used many hand-helds and this is my favorite by far. Lakemaster also makes very good contour maps some lakes to the foot but I'm unsure of how many lakes it covers, mostly the bigger lakes not so much the small lakes.

shae1986

I will too go with the H2O i love mine and teamed with the lakemaster chip they are amazing. For some of the smaller lakes you might have to go Navionics North Hot Maps chip, basically what most of the smaller lakes are they take the DNR lake maps and turn them into digital maps on the chips. I like lakemaster but if you are looking for those smaller lakes you will need to get Navionics for now.

wplatehunter

You can not go wrong with the H20. I have the lake master chip and it has most of the lakes in this area.

RK

Hiya -

Just an FYI on the lake maps...unless a company like Lakemaster has re-surveyed the lake, the map you get on a unit like the H20 is basically the same as a DNR map. Accuracy on them can vary from not too bad to not even close (Crystal's a case in point. Some of the stuff on that map is so far off you wonder if they were even on the same lake when they made the map...)

A plotting GPS like an H20 or a gimbal mount version (I have an x25 and an x17 on my boat) are great tools, and they'll get you in the ballpark with the base maps, but maybe their best use is giving you a way to plot out your own contours. I have lots of the spots I fish plotted out with icons around the piece of structure at a specific depth. To follow the contour you just connect the dots on the plotter screen. Plus I use it to mark weedbeds and rocks or other stuff too. I think you can put 1,000 or so icons on a unit's internal memory.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

alwayscatchineyes

who is this chuckster guy? must be a Hasse from Nashua

fishin58

yeah it is, take his info and throw it out the window JK wink.gif

Chuckster

alwayscatchineyes, do I know you? I know who the other hooligan is.

alwayscatchineyes

If your last name is Hasse then I'm pretty sure you do know me.

alwayscatchineyes

Is the extra 100 bucks worth spending for the color?

Chuckster

My last name is Hasse. Are you from around that area? I think that the color might be worth the extra hundred if you are using it all the time. I have the non-color unit and when you zoom in so far it is sometimes difficult to tell between the depths. Once you zoom in so far sometimes the depths do not become visual.

Paul

I have the h20. I would have to say that the extra $100 bucks is well worth it. YOu will hate it in the sun unless it is color, also at dusk sucks too. I wish the color was out when I bought mine but was not.