Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
river huntfish

Lake Travel

17 posts in this topic

How are the lakes now after the snow has arrived? Are they difficult to drive or is it not a problem and is there a bite going on anywhere

I was out at some area lakes all weekend. There is some snow on the lake but with a 4 wheel drive full sized truck, you can get around, I thought fairly easy. The snow was soft. I broke my own trail and didn't have any problems. There was a guy I seen who followed my trail with a pull behind crack down house and he was able to get off my trail and maneuver too. Had a shovel along just in case.

It might be ATV's and snowmobiles only if we get hit by that full 6-10 on Wednesday.

Quote:

ATV's

ATV's with chains and a snow blade... grin.gif

Looks like most lakes are Atv and snowmobile travel only?

Any one brave enough to try it out there today?

The lakes must be a real mess with all this snow. mad.gif

I might try it tommorrow, I will let you know what it looks like.

Anything happening lately out on the area lakes maybe going out Sunday if i can. Anybody catching some fish

Not alot going on in this area. With the amount of snow we have received lake travel is tough. I personally haven't seen anyone out around this area for the last few days. I did see a truck and of all things a car stuck out from the Cedar Island access yesterday.I don't know what he was thinking crazy.gif

I was out yesterday on an area lake and i had a decent sunfish bite for about 2 hours in the afternoon in shallow water then the crappies started and they were very hungry. We put every fish back down the hole for another day, but me and my boy sure did have a blast

Well, I saw more trucks stuck in the snow than fish I caught today. crazy.gif

A few small gills were all my son and I managed.

There were many, many snowmobilers out there, so at least they are having fun!

One other problem I had today, other than very limited travel, was the water coming up after I drilled holes, my fish trap was almost floating! blush.gif

I didn't have that happen but the lake travel is difficult i was on Osakis and I hoofed it to where i was going and it wasn't fun doing that. We caught a few out there but they weren't exactly aggressive.

We ventured out on Pearl today....tough, Tough, TOUGH! We hit drifts up to 3 feet tall....we did manage a few fish, but the walk was a workout....Two trucks tried to make it out.....they did make a path, but were stuck many, many times.....sleds or boots seem the best mode of travel... grin.gifgrin.gif

Both rice lake accesses were non negotiable this am other than by snowmobile- found (and left) a few crappies off of BJ's road instead

My daughter and her boyfeind went out on Long last night. I got a call about 10 pm that they were stuck on the lake. I headed out with shovel and grit. After 3 1/2 hours of digging pushing, etc I went and got my truck only to make it out about 100 yards before I was stuck myself. With a bit of digging I managed to get myself back off the lake and gave them a ride home leaving the truck for younger more ambitous folks during daylight hours. Very tough going out there for vehicles right now. Even 4x4 travel is treacherous. It's snowmobile time right now.

I made it out both days this past weekend. It was a little bit of work to get out to where we wanted to go, but we did end up getting into some sunfish for a few hours that made it all worth it. All and all it was a good weekend once we made it out they where pretty nice days to be on the ice.

What is the easiest way to get around these days. Can you make way through the snow or is snowmobile still the ticket? Hows the fishing been lately

I haven't been on the chain in over a week, I've been waiting for some of this snow to melt. I might try my luck on Tuesday, weather permitting. smile.gif

I was on Clearwater last Thursday, rough going out there in the snow.

The bite was fair, but you still had to stay on the move to stay on top of active fish.

I would imagine with the warm weather the last couple of days, the travel should be a little easier.