• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A tough DNR lesson

Cliffy

Very well said coming from another member of law enforcement. No one likes getting a ticket, and when people do they like to complain about it.

Quote:

And yes , I have a dad in L.E , a brother , Bestman in my wedding in it , Plus numerous others that I've fished and hunted with , I even golf with our local C.O , BFT >>>

I don’t mean to be a smart mouth...but.....your point is what? You know some people in LE? Do they agree that you should break the law because you disagree with it? If that is the case, I would be concerned about their ethics. Even if they felt it was a bad/vague/silly/not needed law...I would assume that they would still respect it...correct? I am not saying they have to go around and enforce it...but I would hope they wouldnt tell others to just ignore it.....because you might just run into a CO that does not feel the same. I not trying to disrespect you....just trying to understand your position.

Thanks.

Cliffy.

As to the true intent of the law who knows...I have to lean to the side that believes that the law was writen way back when it was more common to come and go from your shack and leave lines down while your gone.

Quote:

Theres a few on here that it sounds like its a big deal being in L.E , we'll I hate to bust your bubble , you put your pants on the same way I do , so sure , put your thoughts down , but leave your job description to someone who cares , cause it don't impress me ! For your info , I put them down , cause a few of you did , so now you know how dumb it does look !!!

BFT

What's up with the anger? I thought this was a healthy debate...no need to get upset. I dont think anyone on here who is a LE officer or CO think we are better than anyone else. I dont remember saying anything of the such...as a matter of fact my point was that we are human and the same as joe citizen. Trust me, I not trying to impress anyone, including you. I just find it ironic that people who are not in LE try to lay weight to their arguement by saying they know certian people..etc. I know a lot of drywallers...but I am by no means saying I know anything about it. I guess my comments directed at your first post was to try and clarify what you were saying...no big deal. I apologize if my comments hurt your feelings..it was not my intent.

Relax man. grin.gif

Now what hapens if I have a tip-up ouside my shack, in plain sight through a window within 200' and the flag goes off, do I pull up my line in the house to go check my tip-up? I really wonder how many fisherman pull their lines to race to a flag!!! unattended line??

Let's keep this thread civilized before it gets locked.

Please read the Forum Policy.

Let's keep this healthy conversation on topic, and no personal attacks. Thank You.

I am not trying to provoke an argument or be a pain to anyone. I think its been an interesting conversation...I would agree its sorta got off topic...but that is what happens. I, again, apologize to anyone that I may offended with my comments and point of view. Perhaps I have beaten this horse to death...this is what happens when you are snowbound at home on your days off.

Thanks

Cliffy.

I gotta totally agree with everything Cliffy has said on this one. Give the CO's a break. There's some guys who would lie about "just checking on my buddy" when they had actually left there lines unattended for a substantial time. We cant always rely on the COs to know who's being honest. This actually seems like a no-brainer to me. If you're going to leave the house, you should automatically just bring up your lines. There's always the chance that when you get to your buddies house you get distracted or end up staying longer than you intended for whatever reason. If you don't want to go through the tremendous amount of effort it takes to reel in a line, dont complain if you get a ticket.

COs are only one of the three branches of gov't. The fellas that got the "unattended lines" ticket could probably get off in court if they took the time to go. Judges are the ones who more often than not interpret the laws. I've made my mistakes in the past, but I don't blame the cops who wrote the tickets. I know it's a pain to miss work, etc. to go to court, but your reputation is all you've got, and for some you can't have fish/wildlife violations on your record. Ask Deadhead about his job and those sort of violations.

Innocent until proven guilty....

Cliffy --

I think we have to remember that we are not all cylon robots, but people. The COs are people too and the have the ability to interpret the law and apply it to a situation. I am not sayinf to turn their back on the law, but that unattended line deal while visiting a buddy is STUPID. But as you said it is the law in black and white. The trouble is ... the world is made up of many shades of grey.

Yeah, I had a Mass Comm/Sociology major with a couple credits shy of Philosophy and criminal justice and psych as minors.

I did get my masters in Beer drinking, however. smirk.gif

WP Hunt --

Not everyone. When I got my ticket for speeding in Glyndon's speed trap set up by the city to bring in revenue to the city I did not complain I paid it.

Before you get mad at that comment it was true they set upo a city ordinace then had it changed.

I was not paying attention and was going 38 through Glyndon. I did not ask for a break or complain. i was speeding and not paying attention.

Not everyone is a whiner.

Eyehunter --

About time you chimed in but don't you have any interesting points to add instead of just blaming me. wink.gifwink.giftongue.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

Da --

Good point but they we up in the NW angle and it would have meant another big trip up there to fight a fine?

Nope.

They were stuck.

Quote:

Eyehunter --

don't you have any interesting points to add instead of just blaming me.

No, that's all I wanted to do. grin.gif

Be careful, my Brother -- one should not anger Da Hitman.. cool.gif

Quote:

Cliffy --

I think we have to remember that we are not all cylon robots, but people. The COs are people too and the have the ability to interpret the law and apply it to a situation. I am not sayinf to turn their back on the law, but that unattended line deal while visiting a buddy is STUPID. But as you said it is the law in black and white. The trouble is ... the world is made up of many shades of grey.

Yeah, I had a Mass Comm/Sociology major with a couple credits shy of Philosophy and criminal justice and psych as minors.

I did get my masters in Beer drinking, however.
smirk.gif

In my line of work there is a phrase that goes something like this, " There is a difference between the letter of the law and the spirit of the law". Were your friends in violation of the letter of the law? I would say yes. Were they in violation of the spirit of the law? This is were we differ in our thoughts.

I think it is pretty clear while others feel the law was not applied to its true intent. However, no one has been able to direct us to its true intent...no transcripts from committee meetings or testimony from our state congressional parties..etc. I would assume the law was created so people didn’t just set lines and walk away...probably created on behave of the game that we seek. To be honest, I don’t really care...that has never been the center point of my responses.

Like I have said from the beginning, I don’t have a problem with it...as long as this particular CO is uniformly enforcing it. I think there are a lot of laws on the books that are not needed for 99 percent of those of us in society....but we have to follow them anyway......or just take the chance and don’t complain if we get caught.

Hitman: it would be pretty interesting to see what Phil had to say about this law......I think that is the CO that you were referring to as a possible source. I would also be interested in hearing what the Judge said if your friends decided to exercise there right to court trial.

Its been an interesting topic and its nice to see everyone’s view......

PS: My BA is in Political Science...worked in DC for awhile before trying this gig....still should have been a firemen. smirk.gif

Why is this difficult. There are 2 possible scenarios. Either they knew about the law or they didn't. If they didn't know about the unattended lines law, they should bone up on regs before going out. If they did know about the law, they made a conscious decision to take a chance on not getting caught. Sure, they may have only been gone a few minutes, but how does the CO know that, and how does he know that they were going to go right back? (See my earlier post about lying) If your too lazy to reel up your stinkin line when you leave the house dont blame the CO for your sloppiness.

JC --

Wow are you missing the point. My point was that many people did not know abou that law -- either by not reading the book or by not thinking it was really a crime.

My point was to let people know about it and vent that I, personally, think it is dumb.

Hit.

I believe the Bible used to be the largest book ever written but in a few more years it will be the Minnesota regulation book for hunting and fishing! Why is it when you go to another state or Province they hand you a little pamphlet that tells you all of their regs that you can read in minutes and understand. I get a new Minnesota book and it takes a week or more on the toilet every morning to go through it and try to understand it. Where or when is this going to end? I hope it is soon because my legs fall asleep sitting on the toilet trying to read that whole book!!!!

hit,

that is a tough one. Opportunity cost to drive to county seat of LOW (Baudette?) or pay the cost. I hear ya, I have bit the bullet on a parking ticket where I was probably in the right....could try calling the county prosecutor. I doubt you would be in the clear, but maybe a notarized letter or deposition from county of residence? I'm grasping at straws since I am no law man, but I'm just throwing out ideas if they would help- in the spirit of your original post-to help people.

It's hard to believe they would write a ticket for that. I've heard some tall tales travel through the grapevine, like COs writing tickets when they see yellow snow outside your house for indecent exposure, etc. I take your word on the line thing, but geez, what they hey...like the one poster said, how many guys reel up when they chase a flag?

hitman...just because most people don't know the law doesn't make them legal....everytime I get my new liscence I read the rule book....do I know all the rules by heart...not all but most.....if your too lazy to read the law book than you deserve the ticket.....breaking the law is breaking the law no matter how serious it is.