• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

A tough DNR lesson

A buddy of mine was up north at the NW Angle and learned a new and expensive lesson. They were fishing in a house and they decided to go check on some buddies about 30 yards away.

As soon as they were out of their house up fzips some DNR fellas. They went up to the house they were in and and asked if they were fishing. They were visiting their buddies and they said that they were. He asked to see everyone's fishing ID. Then the two that walked over said that it was in their house and they walked back to get it with the DNR. As soon as they got back to the house DNR asked whose lines those were that were down the hol and they said it was their lines.

They were each fined like $130 per line because they left the lines unattended.

Remember -- they only walked out of their house to check on some buddies but that was enough.

I did not know that and I have been fishing for years. You would think you could just walk over and say hi to a buddy -- and you can if you take up the lines.

What an expensive lesson. On top of that the fishing was pretty bad -- all small and the biggest was 16 inches. they were just north of the good weather we had last weekend and it was -20.

What a lesson to learn. Hard to believe that is against the law when you can have tip-ups all over and be within 75 yards. I suppose when you go outside and take a (contact us regarding this word) you better bring up the lines. confused.gif

or leave the door open. It's pretty clear in the regs not leave a line unattended. I agree that there is some discrepency between leaving tipups outside when you are in your house, and leaving lines down when you go outside of your house. maybe itwould have been different if theywere rattle reels?. Probably not, but to be on the safeside pull your line up if you are going to lose eye-contact with it.

I believe this is where a little common sense should come into play on the part of the CO's. I could see giving them a ticket if they were sitting in the other house playing cards or something like that, but to just walk over to check on your buddies for a few minutes and get a ticket for this is not right. A good warning in this case would have done just as well. I know that it probably is against the law but I believe that there are times where a lesson will be learned just as well with a stearn warning as with a citation, and also a much less bitter taste in the mouth towards the future meeting with a CO.

This is a pretty tough one. First and foremost IT IS THE LAW, to comment on what hitman said this is a law that many people are unaware of, as I have found out when I have been fishing with friends who have been fishing their whole lives and not known about it. The thing here is it sucks when anyone who accidentely/unknowingly breaks the law and gets burned for it. I do also agree that warnings can be effective to people who REALLY didn't know the law. Remember this is the CO's job, to enforce the law, and it is their discretion to give someone a warning or a ticket, and often times they do give warnings. There are however many people who knowingly break fish and game laws everyday there out, and they are darn sneaky about it. I guess what I am trying to say is lets not turn this into a CO bashing for doing their job, they are out there for all of us. So that we can enjoy the hunting and fishing we love for years to come.

Ive been aware of this practice up there for a while now. if your in a rented shack your more likely to have it happen to you. Law, yes, but I think they are targeting the the folks less likely to know the law, they sit back and wait for someone to run to another house and check on their buds luck and get stung.

I can see if you leave a tip up out and watch it out of your cabin window, or leave lines down overnight, but steping next door to shoot the $hit should'nt deserve a ticket. its not like your going to stay there for the rest of the day.Where is the crime in it?

what if you sleep in your shack and the co comes while your sleeping with lines down??

Alright boys, well, I've got DNR stories a plenty for you. One of these stories happens to be from a time me and the old man were fishing the Wisconsin River by the Dells in late March / early April (I used to live in Wisco and the old man and I fished the rivers for about a week straight every Spring - great times!)

Anyways, on this particular day, it was about 25 degrees out and side ways snow. We happened to be anchored actually right by another boat; about 20 yards to the side of us. Seeing as how the current in the river pulls your lines back, we set out 2 lines with lindy rig type setups and let the current pound the minnow around a little bit while we waited for the eyes to bite. Oh, and I forgot to mention, it was so blasted cold that day that me and the old man were basically huddled up on the step that goes from the trolling motor area to the bottom of the boat. Well, we managed to catch about 50 eyes that day, but they were all shorts (every last one of them - it's a 15 inch limit in those areas and not one was over 15 that day). The other boat, sad to say didn't have a hit all day and watched us having the time of our life and freezing our you know whats off.

Anyways, the boat left and then about an hour later we left. As we were driving in, we could see the silhouette (sp?) of the Red Lund that was by us driving alongside a john boat type looking rig - they were coming right for us. As it turns out, that there john boat happened to be the DNR and they were real stern and said, "sir, please pull your boat to shore." So, my old man pulled the boat to shore and the DNR reps checked our livewells first. Much to their surprise, the livewell was completely dry because we didn't catch anything big enough to keep. So, they started looking behind the batteries and also proceded to frisk us not for hunting riffles or handguns, no, they were frisking us and patting us down for walleye fillets!! It turns out that the people in the Lund thought we were huddling down and filleting those shorts up as we caught them! I was about 12 - 13 years old at the time and it was fun being frisked for walleye fillets in front of the huge fishing crowd that day that was fishing the river with us. What a story! Just goes to show how crazy times on the water can be.

Good Luck to all!

another LOW reg possible overlook.

the limit is 4 eyes - 4 sauger or 8 total with only 4 eyes.

you catch 8 sauger and stop at the cleaning house to clean them up for the ride home. unless you left 4 of the sauger whole, your 4 fish over your limit according to the reg that states all cleaned fish count as walleye.

Wow thats to bad I've been fishing out of the Angle now for the last six winters, and have never seen any type of DNR or law enforcement for that matter.

Livin --

I can tell you that I was NOT aware of this law. It does seem like a stupid one, but I guess we can't pick and chos which laws we should follow.

A warning would have been good enough, in my mind. confused.gif

Minnow --

You are 100 percent right. When the guys got back to the resort, they said they had heard of them doing that.

Sick.

Minnow --

Did you know about the unattended lines deal? Even to visit next door?

Ive been aware of the way they have been catching you off guard like that for a couple years. my brothers father inlaw has a home on the lake and he and his neighbors have told many tales of this sort of stuff seen out on LOW.

No one likes getting a ticket...and everyone thinks they deserve a warning. People think the COs are out to get them or are just making money for the state. This gets old. However, I understand the feeling...as a matter of fact I have a very close friend who recently got whacked for a basic (in my mind) rule violation. He said he was unaware...and to be honest...I believe him. I give him credit for taking it like an adult..no complaints..no name dropping...just took the ticket, paid the fine and moved on.

If the regs say not to leave your lines unattended...then I guess that is the rule. I could see an issue if the guy was just outside the shelter taking care of a mother nature call...but to go to another shelter...even just to visit...well...I think that is leaving the lines unattended.

Hitman,

hey I totally agree with you, and I wasn't trying to aim that comment at you, and like I said I am aware that a lot of people don't know that law. I agree that some regs are a bit sketchy, but they were put there because people would abuse it if they weren't. to be just outside of your house and get ticketed like that is harsh, i agree, its not like they went to the bar for a couple hours and returned to check their lines. Many times warnings much better "educators" and their are some officers that do set traps, not most of them though. Anyway, like I said it wasn't in reguard to your comment. I have seen it before in conversation and on this site, just didn't want to start a "COs are out to get us" topic.

minne

something else came to mind. If there is a reg like this walleye/sauger one that doesn't make sense, notify the DNR. That could have been a loophole they missed when writing that up. Otherwise another option, I would guess, someone correct me if this wouldn't work. This would be to leave the skin on with the tail attatched to one side of each fillet. One of the Walleyes most distinguishing characteristics is the white lower tip of the tail, Sauger don't have this. Just fillet that skin off when you go to cook your fish, or get home. Its just like leaving a wing on your waterfowl.

Quote:

their are some officers that do set traps,

Please educate me on how a CO “sets a trap” in a situation like this...??... What action on the Officer's part caused the individaul to exit their shelter and leave the lines un-attended?

And while I am ranting a little....what is up with these comments about knowing or not knowing the law. Don’t people bother to read the regs??...are we just suppose to depend on the COs to come out and teach us everything.??? Am I the only one that reads these things. If people are not willing to educate themselves on the rules of the sport.......then perhaps they should not play.

The reason I get so bothered with topics like this is because I just spent the past weekend at LOTW with about 200 brothers in LE. This would include Cos. These guys bust their butts!!! They have dedicated their lives to the outdoors...and guess what, they are human like the rest of us. So, when I hear people crying about getting a ticket...when its their own fault for not knowing the laws...I don’t have much compassion. Comments like...well, its not like they went into town...or its not like they were sitting around playing cards...IT DON’T MATTER....IT’S THE LAW. If you don’t like it, get the law changed. Yes, Officers have discretion....but what a slippery slope to talk about. As long as these Officers uniformly enforce this particular law...then I don’t have a problem with it.

We cant educate everyone nor can we give breaks to everyone that violates the law. The last time I checked, one of the main responsibilities of Law Enforcement...is to enforce the laws.

I’m off my soap box. Flame away.

Cliffy, I have to agree that knowing the law is generaly the best thing to do. I wasn't there so I dont know exactally what happened, but I would have to say the Law is there to ot only protect the fish but us as well. Ya maybe some laws are a little redudnant but hey, the State Capitol is only a phone call away. IF you dont like it call the lawmakers and sugest a resonable change.

wink.gif

OK I am off my soap box,(now on a snowblower) Let's FISH!

I agree with you Paul....BUT I would add that its not only “the best thing” to do, but it is the individual’s responsibility to know the rules and regs before partaking in a particular sport. To be honest, I thought the un-attended line reg was common knowledge to the vast majority of anglers.

Off my soap box....already did the snowblower thing....off to clean the garage tongue.gif.

Cliffy.

Cliffy --

Please don't get me wrong. I understand that we must follow the laws in society or it all goes to (contact us regarding this word). I also think we need everyone to follow all laws. My Bro-in-law is "on the job" and he feels the same as you. The law is the law, like it or not.

That being said I DO NOT have to agree with all of them, but we should follow them or face the ticket.

The unattended lines deal -- yeah I knew you couldn't leave lines down over night while you are watching TV in the basement but I do not agree with stopping by and visiting another fisherman.

That is a stupid interpretation of the law, in my opinion.

Cliffy --

I hear you, my Brother. I have many friends in Law Enforcement and they feel the same as you do. You guys do one of the most important jobs in society ... Keeping the peace. You get paid very little, risk your lives so we can all be safe at home watching Battlestar Gallatica (maybe that is just me) and many times people are mad at you for doing your job.

The point of my post was to educate people. I did not think I would get a ticket for visiting another fish house with my lines down. Now I know and so does everyone else. Do I like that law --- Not in that situation.

If I choose not to follow that law, then I will have to take the risk and pay the fine.

Cliffy -- Hang in there, my Brother, you guys have a tough job to do. I, for one, am happy you guys are as dedicated as you are to the protection of the public.

BTW -- the next time you get stressed out a little take Da Hitman's advice. Get on your sled, get her in some open, safe area and crank it up to 60-70 mph. What a rush that can be.

Oh, yeah, that is against the law as well. I didn't know there was a 50 mph state-wide speed limit for sleds. How did the Hitman find out about that? Yeah, I read a copy of the regulations.

Funny, the stuff you can find out when you read. wink.gifcool.gif

So, on the other hand don't go 60 or 70, just keep er around 3-5 miles over and you should be sorta safe. wink.gifwink.gifgrin.gifcool.gif

You know that was a little funny.

I talk with a lot of people with my job and most people did not think that it would be against the law to talk with a buddy at the next fish house.

Unfortunately you need examples of this type of thing on a website so people are better educated.

I think I am going to write an editorial on this -- The more people that know this the better.

The problem with that is the paper trail. I know the CO in Bville pretty well and I know he reads my paper. So when I am outside my house visiting my neighbor and my lines are down ... ... ...

Yep, that darn paper trail. wink.gif

Thank you for the kind comments. I just get a little worked up when people start talking about COs setting people up..etc. Its tough to be a CO or LEO when people don’t agree with the laws/regs....it seems like the anger is directed back at us. I should have been a firemen...everyone loves the firemen smirk.gifsmirk.gif.

Over the years, I have gotten the chance to get to know a few of this guys/gals and I am very impressed by their dedication. They are protecting something that I cherish.....and they are just like you and me. I even applied to a CO a few years back but didn’t make the cut....didn’t have the wildlife knowledge...or at least not as much knowledge as the other candidates.

I am also grateful that you made the original post...to help educate others...and perhaps save them a few dollars....that was very kind of you.

My soap box is now broken...feeling tired...time for the mid-morning day off nap.

Take care.

Cliffy.

ps..I did find your last post funny...but what the heck is Battlestar Gallatica?

Battlestar --

Well, according to TV-Guide type experts it is the best new drama on TV. It is based on the late 70s early 80s show on TV with the same name. Their planet was destroyed and they are looking for their sister planet called "earth."

It sounds dorky but is a pretty good show.

I am a sci-fi dork and I watch this show full of very hot females cylons. Their swear word is "Frack" and they use it a lot. They have some coolo characters and it is addicting for a Star Wars/Star Trek Child like myself.

hitman, you're a trekkie.... you nerd tongue.gif

I didn't realize there is a new battlestar galactica, not that I watched the first one either. different strokes for different folks i guess wink.gif

Cliffy

maybe that didnt come out quite right or what I said was misinterpreted, if you read my posts from the begining you would see that I'm all for the regs that are in place, and obeying the law, and was trying to give COs a pat on the back for a job well done. when I said something about traps(bad wording), I didn't mean just stopping people that are breaking the law, but as I meant there are few cases where somebody gets called out on a technicality and it leaves them with a bad taste for officers, though it shouldn't, like you said no one likes getting a ticket. Heres a good example I was fishing of shore of a lake and camping just across the gravel road (in a remote area), when to get to the shoreline the first time it was kinda boggy and i took a step, and water up to my waist. I walked to camp changed pants and went back out fishing. The CO came out and asked how I was doing, and we talked about fishing in the area a bit. when he asked me for my licence I suddenly remembered it is in my wallet, in the wet pants back at camp. I told him what had happened, I think he ran me on the computer, and said alright well this is your warning, go get it if your going to keep fishing, I complied and things were good. Technically it is against the law to fish without your licence in your possesion, he could have given me a ticket. And yes of course everybody should know all the regs and read the book cover to cover and keep informed on new regs, but they don't. people do make mistakes and occasionally not know about laws, even the good law abiding ones. I Agree more then I can say that officers bust their butt for us as I said in a previous post. I too am passionate about our natural resources, that is why I am in school for Fish Research right now(and will be for 6+ years. I thought about becoming a CO, but my passion is in preserving fish and biotic communities through research and policy. So that future generations can enjoy what I have my whole life. Believe me DNR regs are very close to my heart, I have Turn in Poachers on my speeddial, and regretably have had to use it a few times. So now hopefully by this thread everybody is a little more aware and conscensious of regs and why they are important. And AS I SAID BEFORE that COs are enforcing regs so that we all might enjoy the nat resources we love for years to come.

Nope, not a Trekkie I am a Treker. That is a little less than a total dork. me and Wood-eye that was up north with us had a few beers and thought it would be fun to go to a Trek convension and pick up a bunch of nerd-girls. We would be the coolest nerds there, I would think.

Then I told Wood that he would have to wear the ears and green makeup and he laughed so hard that beer came out his nose.

When you are having a few you come up with some "sweet" ideas.

Livintofish

I dont understand how that would have left a bad taste...you were in violation of the law...you explained the situation and he gave you a warning...seems pretty straight forward to me. I guess I would have been thankful for the warning. Perhaps I am confused...dont mean to beat this horse to death. Needless to say, we all have our thoughts on this matter and I think I understand where your coming from so no hard feelings or whatever.

Hitman: That show sounds a little too out there for me...but to each thier own. I am more of a "Mythbusters"-discorvery or TLC type of guy...dont get me wrong I have my fix of bad tv...just now willing to name the shows on the forum. grin.gif

Cliffy, first off I have NO anger toward you! I read and obey laws, if I stumble and screw up, I know I did and accept responsiblity! I have respect for all of you who watch over us! I also have friends in LE and agree that there is some interpretation issues with law in their hands, that is difficult. (CO/LEO).

The unattended line law in this case is IMO, not being used in the manner it was writen.

If I have a tip up out with in 150'and a line in my shack with a wall in between myself and the tip up Im legal.

If im in my shack and Ive got 2 tip ups out with in 150' of the house and each other im legal.

If ive got 2 lines in my shack and my buds have a shack less than 150' from my shack, and I go see how the fishing is over there, NOW im some how now not legal??

where are the diferences here that justify a ticket? Is it the fact that im looking out instead of in? or maybe that i have to beable to see threw 2 walls instead of 1?

I can appreciate your defence of your partners in LE. but come on, do you agree with this practice? I know its law but realy do you personaly think that the law is being upheld as it was suposed to? did our legislators realy want you to hand out tickets for this kind of activity and if so why?, where is the harm? My opinion I know..

You say get involved and get the law changed. where is your stand on this law? its easy for you to say, but extremely hard to get done.

Im not off my box yet, just have better things to do.

As I said before, this law is vague and somewhat open to debate. Also, as I said before, as long as this particular CO is uniformly enforcing the law...I have no issues with it.

The tip-up scenario. I never understood why people would put out tip-ups if they cant see them. I use tip-ups..but put them in plain view of the window in my shack....so I just need to turn my head to see them. If a person uses some type of signaling device on the tip-ups....then I would understand...but to each thier own. Here is the law and seems pretty straight forward. If you could explain to me why or where there is addtional info as to its true or clear intent..I would be interested.

97C.321 RESTRICTIONS ON UNATTENDED LINES.

Subdivision 1. General prohibition. A person may not take fish by angling with a set line

or an unattended line except as provided in this section and rules adopted under the game and

fish laws.

Subd. 2. Ice fishing. A person may use an unattended line to take fish through the ice if:

(1) the person is within sight of the line; or

(2) a tip-up is attached to the line and the person is within 200 feet of the tip-up.

History: 1986 c 386 art 3 s 26; 1Sp1995 c 1 s 35; 1997 c 226 s 39

I think the key is the pharse..."within sight".

What is the big deal? You open a pretty big slippery slope with your comment. Where does it stop? We could debate this issue to death and both of us would have valid points. The bottom line is it’s the current law not to leave your lines un-attended.

Getting the law changed. Yeah, its easy to say but tough to do..I agree. But I would also challenge those that complain to do something about it. How many people have done ANYTHING to change the law. I find that most people sit back in life and complain about this and that....but very few every take any action to change things...as you said...because its tough to do. To be honest..and I hope I don’t upset anyone...but people that complain about things but do nothing to change them...well, It leaves a bad taste with me.

In summary, I don’t care one way or the other for the law...other than I am ok with it as long as it is uniformly enforced. I get upset when people start a backlash towards those of us that enforce the laws..simply based on the fact they disagree with it.

Thanks.

Cliffy.