Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hemlock

Extensions.....good investment, never have to worry again.

7 posts in this topic

I know that $30 or $40 can be tiresome to be dishing out all the time, but I have no regrets about buying my auger extension. I picked one up about 3 years ago, and I've used it on probably 6 fishing trips, but I feel it's paid for itself in those 6 uses/3 years. I carry it with me later in the season, in my backpack, in my pickup, in my portable, etc. It sure beats wondering if you are going to be "ok" without one. Food for thought.

I agree Hemlock. Just got back from LOW and there was 36" to 40" of ice where we were at. the resort was using them to punch through. Bill

Ya, I was complaining about the $27.50. However I have since been to Gull, 12 mile, and 16 mile. The extension has already made up for it's cost! 40 to 44 inches where we were. And ,yes,the bite was on.

Hey 2,when you say the "Bite"which are you refering,walts,perch,norts,sagies?or all the above?,(just wondering)I' grin.gifm leaving for points north this Wednesday can hardly wait!!!!c63

I was in Border Bait at LOW on Thursday morning and a fella was in there buying an exstention for his Jiffy, $42.00, Strikemaster charged me $27 for my 12". The guy running Border said he couldn't figure out why the big difference in pricing, but that Jiffy was spendy on all of there accessories. Regardless of the price, its a one time expense that last a life time, and makes life a lot easier when the ice is this thick. Bill

I always have my extension inserted to the 6" mark an if needed can quickly extend to 12" Hmmmm.. Theres a joke there I know. This year how ever with the 3 1/2 feet of ice an my camper house where the floor is another15" off the ice I prefab one at my work, so now the sucker is taller than I am an I'm six two, I can get another six out of it which i might need by the end of the season. I must be compensating for something. boar

OK ,Chris, we( the four of us) caught all of the species,except have not hooked any northerns yet.did get some good "eaters" in the walleye-sauger mix. The perch were really fat,full of eggs so started to not keep any that were able to swimm back down.

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• HugeHogChaser
      Much appreciated JBMasterAngler! I saw a couple of your comments on another DevilsTrack lake post, but that was from 2007 so this updated information is AWESOME !! LOL! Thank you! I am looking forward to giving it a go.    I have a bunch of chartreuse  and fire tiger rapalas too. Got a couple that dive to 16 feet, and couple to around 7. Hopefully i can locate a couple eater walleye. thanks again man.
    • Gimp
      Beanies is a privately held beach and company. There is no way they would become a free public launch site--unless they sold to the DNR. I know nothing of that happening. However, if you're patient, the DNR is building one under the new HWY 36 bridge with 35 trailer parking spots to be completed in late fall 2019/early spring 2020. Here's the article: http://stillwatergazette.com/2017/03/20/dnr-plans-boat-launch-next-to-st-croix-bridge/. As for fishing, right now with the hot weather and the recent mayfly hatch, it's been a tough bite. Fish drop-offs or channels and try everything.  
    • JBMasterAngler
      Those islands are a good starting point. The mouth of the junco creek  (which is right at the campground) is a popular spot also. Gold is the go to color. Lake is full of cigars, but you should be able to find a few big enough to eat. Shorefishing at the access at night can be productive with leeches, but it's always those pesky cigars again. You might want to take a day and go over to nearby Two Island Lake. Has a much better population of eaters in my opinion. 
    • JBMasterAngler
      Wondering if there are any free campsites in the Ely area, preferably off of fernberg trail or hwy 1 within reasonable distance of town. I know there are a thousand sites on islands or lake shores that are "boat to", but I'm looking for drive to sites. Being on or near a lake would be nice, but I'm not too picky. Just looking to make a trip a little more affordable, as well as getting a chance to explore the area a little better 
    • JBMasterAngler
      City launch in Hudson.
    • BringAnExtension
      Somebody needs to find out where it happened and start throwing some big baits in that area.
    • Hoey
      No problems today with Chrome, so it must be fixed.
    • Hoey
      Without seeing the bottom of the foot, I have the same thoughts.   Sure could be a propeller hit though.  
    • Captain Acorn
      Was up for the weekend with the family and got out a little bit. Fished for about 2 hours in the morning and evening each day started out great on Friday nailing a 24" first fish but but over all fishing was slow for me. Saturday I zeroed but switched to spinner rigs w crawlers  Sunday and got into some nicer walleyes all 16 to 22" fish 1 mph perch colored spinners with the hammered looked to them with orange and green beads on a sand to rock transition. Sure was marking a ton of bait fish on the screen it looks like the lake is loaded right now.  How did everyone else do? 
    • Hoey
      We usually go with 3/8 or 1/2 ounce jigs on the US side due to depth and current.  I do not know if these sizes help avoid snags.