• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

There is a special place in hell.....

mniess

for people who break into fishouses. A friend found my shack broken into, when he stopped by to light the furnace for me this afternoon. As I made my way up north I was a mix angry and worried.

Why would someone do this?

What is Lost?

How much dammage?

And a million other thoughts raced through my mind from Prince Bait to Lybacks.

The door is a mess and lots of things were stolen. Not the end of the world but no way to end a year of Ice fishing.

Please join with me to pay closer attention to what goes on around the lakes. We all have seen those things that did not seem right. Let's start reporting them!

Sorry to hear what happened to you. No one deserves that. But when are people going to learn that locks on a fishhouse only keep out the law abiding. I see in the paper almost all the time about fish houses being broken into and poles, ice augers, tv's, etc. If you can't afford to replace these things don't leave them behind. When I leave my house all that is left are the rattle reals. I know when I return the windows and door won't be broken. Because I don't lock it. Sure it is a little more of a hassel bringing all the items I need every time but it's what it's come down to these days and that's too bad.

locks are for honest people. too many houses around here just disapear from the lakes. I won't leave a house out on the lake overnight anymore with out someone useing it. which is very sad.

I'm sure most of these thefts are ocurring late at night after a lot of people have left their house. Sure can pi** a guy off though. Your homeowners policy will cover the theft as these items fall under your contents coverage, depending on your deductible however and what was lost, there might not be a lot of cash left to replace the items. Bill

While your home owners may cover you do not want to have more than 2 claims or the insurance co will cancel you policy and then the only place you can get insurance is thru the state which is a lot more expensive and much less coverage. No one else will pick you up either.

Mick, sorry to hear about your fish house. I am suprised they got in with your reinforced door.

Last year my father-in-law had to shoo away some guy trying to get in my house. Pretty ballsy when you consider that there were occupied houses and trucks within 25 yards of my house! Luckily they were scared off and didn't get in.

I don't leave anything in my house that isn't bolted down anymore. One of the guys in our group of houses had someone break into his house and once inside, didn't find anything they wanted. A pain for him to replace the door, funny thing was his auger was behind the couch and they didn't find it. He no longer leaves anything there either. If they want to take the time to unbolt the stove, heater, or car radio, or take a rattle reel or bucket out of my house, then their sorry (Contact Us Please) can take it.

Again, sorry for your loss.

Glockwinger (aka Fed Phil)

Slotlimit,

Thanks for the scolding, I hear your point. I should not leave behind anything I do not want to lose. The shack is now empty and a few hundred bucks will replace what was stolen

However......

I spent Thousands of dollars and a year of work building my shack. It was a labor of love and for this to happen will not be easily shrugged off.

I am glad that more of society doesn't agree with that point about crime. This idea that, “that locks on a fishhouse only keep out the law abiding.” By that kind of thinking, we would allow lots of crime to happen. We should allow, in fact encourage the “law abiding” to become criminals, because it's easy for the criminals to commit the crime?

If someone came home and found someone in their house, would that be ok if the door was unlocked when they left? If someone is an honest person what are they doing in someone else’s property? I can think of ten more examples as ridiculous as that one, yet we should leave the houses open and empty for all to use? The idea that these “law abiding” folk do no damage is far from the truth. How many times have we read here the absolute mess, garbage, poop, and worse, found in the open fish houses?

My resort owner said this was one of three that happened during that time. There wasn’t any encouragement to call the Sherriff, More just a natural part of life on the lake. Until, everyone, and I mean everyone, begins to think about this as a crime – it will continue to happen.

Mille Lacs Lake is not the old west and people should not condone any part of this.

fast40m,

I’d rather not say where I was. But the house has not sat empty more than 4 days in a row for the entire season. Most weeks there was someone there everyday.

Once again I'm sorry for what happend to you no one deserves that. It is that thinking about law abiding people that we will continue to hear of doors and windows being broken into on fishhouses. If you left your door unlocked and an Ice auger laying in the middle of the floor. Say you left and the door wasn't shut and the wind had blown it open in the night. the next day I drive by and see that auger laying in the middle of the floor. I would go and shut your door for you or put something up against the door to keep it shut. I wouldn't even think about taking it or would most law abiding people. Now if I was a criminal and into robbing fish houses. Nothing could keep me out of that house. If someone wants to get in bad enough they will. Here's what it comes down to. Would you rather arrive at your fish house and have to clean up some garbage and maybe a tird or have to repair you door/window, call the police, talk to the insurance company, replace all your items, and possibly have a whole trip ruined because you have nothing to drill your holes, heat your house, and no poles to fish with. If someone is fishing in your house that you haven't given permission to or left a surprise they should be given a fine for tresspessing. If people would stop leaving items in their fish house criminals would stop breaking in at some point. IF you leave the door open and nothing their you will never have a bad trip because of non-law abiding people. Once again i say I'm sorry for your loss and I think people that do this should be given 20 lashes for each item stolen or broken and not just a slap on the hand.

Years ago We used to keep ours open too,but then it happened,(some !@#!@!##took a big dump in the middle of the floor so no more!)We take whatever we can't afford to loose and lock er up!c63Sorry to hear about your end to your season,just remember that they will get theirs.........all in time,all in time!!c63

Mniess,

I agree with you about the lock part. A lock means not public. A lock means private, stay out. This type of thing is the only reason I won't buy a nice fish house and deck it out with all the bells and whistles. This is also the reason I would only buy a wheel house that I could tow on and off the ice. Too many jacks trying to help themselves at your expense. Maybe even a fish house sitting in your driveway isn't safe these days with theives everywhere. Kind of sad, isn't it? Cool luck replacing contents. I wish it was legal for us to booby trap the door and the violater would get punished big time for breaking in. Problem in our society as we would get sued for some jack pine savage breaking in and getting hurt. Says alot about our society, doesn't it?

Do we lock our car doors in the parking lot at the grocery store?

Or do we leave them open in case some theif wants the radio?

Hey at least if you don't lock the doors, he won't have to break your window to get the radio that he's gonna get anyways.

If someone does break your car window and take the radio, are you gonna file a police report?

Why should a fish house be any different?

I always keep an eye out when I am out on any lake. I keep an eye on the fish houses around me. Wasn't trying to get info on your spot, just wondered if we were in the same area. Good luck replacing your stuff and for all of our sakes I hope the guilty party gets busted and punished to the fullest extent of the law!!

I make a point of going to other houses near mine and introducing myself. I then tell them when I'm usually there, what vehicles they might see, and tell them that I'll look out for them when they're not there.

That being said, I've never locked my house once. The resort locked it once, and I had to drive back to shore and ask them if they had a key. Thus far I've avoided any sign of intrusion.

Brad B,

Good strategy...neighborhood watch program. The more eyes the better to keep safe and secure.

are breakins very common on mille lacs?

I know when i had a perm on one of the metro lakes back in the mid 90's we got busted into on the last day the houses could be on the lake. (that was the last time i put one out)

Am i also to believe that people also will just try to haul off with someones wheel house? That really scares me. I plan to spend my hard earned money building one this summer and can just imagine finding it broken into or worse yet...NOT There mad.gif

I just dont understand how people can feel like they have the liberty to just do anything they please, and the fact that they dont respect others property.

I only get to be up on the pond on the weekends (like most)but If you stick by the resort houses, would one be less likly to be a victim?

MS

This whole thing makes me sick.. and the worst part about it is that there is really nothing that can be done to keep people out. If they want in they will get in... Do people drive out on the lake with the sole purpose of breakin into fish houses? Do the come prepared with all of the nessary tools?The thing that really turns my crank is that it is usually young anglers who generally get blamed for acts like this, and I am one of these young anglers(22 yrs old), and I have been accused before...I just wanted people to know that scumb bags come in all shapes , sizes, and ages. I think that the best thing that people can do is to take out all of their valuebles, and leave nothing for them to take, although it is convinent to keep all of your things in the house. 2 years ago my buddy had his ice house broke into around st.cloud, all he had in there was his auger and few poles, the auger was taken( not a great auger)and a week later the auger was returned to the door step of his house...They must not have like the auger... odd situation. Anyway, sorry to hear about ur loss, hopefully these guys who did this will eventually get caught some how... good luck.......................norm

The auger was returned? WOW. Sorry but I'm guessing it was some young person whos parents caught them with a new auger and made them do the right thing. Hopefully with a boot to the A** as well. I remember when I was in Highschool and working at the local gas station we had a gas drive off. Well the kid was caught on camera. A week later his dad brought him to the store and made him appoligize to the whole store. He probably would have prefered the boot. It's nice to know some parents still know how to dicipline their kids.

The scumbag probably had a few morals left and felt bad afterwards for taking someone else's property, so he/she returned the auger because they couldn't stand the guilt anymore!! I know I wouldn't be able to if I was to stoop as low as to take someone else's auger!

Quote:

I think people that do this should be given 20 lashes

I think they should be shot.

I have friend who's boy spent all summer building his fish house.

There was nothing in it. A small lock on the door.

The criminals (probably very rational meth heads) still broke all the windows and trashed the house.

Even if they were to return, apollagize, and rebuild the

house, they'd still be deserving of a good old fashioned beat down.

I should add that this did not happen on lake Mille Lacs

This whole problem starts with the little stuff. All it takes is a couple drinks or twelve, and everyone's judgement is just out of wack. I had it where I was driving a couple hammered girls home from a party and we stopped at a convenience store for some food. Well, this girl stole like 4 candybars and a zippo lighter, and was laughing her a** off, saying that "was like the 4th time". Well, I turned the car around, and forced her to return the items. Man did she feel like (Contact Us Please). Everyone else in the car was ticked at her, and she couldnt even talk she felt so ashamed. All it takes is holding people responsible for their actions, to get results. The law doesnt always have to get involved.

My auger was stolen 4 weeeks ago. You have no idea how crappy that is. I ever find out who..... Heck, don't even get me F&^%$#@! started....

Great discussion, Thanks for the kind words. I suppose there is no good solution.

I will still, lock up.

I'm more of a metro area guy, I'm just browsing for a late ice perch run. So I'm a bit out of line here.

I've heard that the either the sheriff or DNR has some sort of sting operation for ice house thefts.

I was thinking Mille Lacs house owners, resort owners and local law enforcement would have a common interest in increasing the number of sting houses. GPS tracking via cell phone towers with a transmitter is getting cheaper these days. I bet it would be easy to hide a transmitter inside a small TV, radio or the house itself.

If enough of you guys get together I bet you could get...

*some funds from local businesses

*volenteers to monitor and maintain the sting houses

*law enforcment support

Don't get mad, get even.

There have been reports in the Perham / Ottertail area that entire houses have been pulled off and stolen. The most recent was a $10K+ house on Paul Lake.

Unless the laws have changed, which I hoped they have from 15 years ago, planting a fishhouse out on the lake and waiting for someone to steal iteams or the whole thing is called entrapment. When I was 16-18 I had to be one of the kids with the nice stereo system. Well it was stolen 2 times and the second time I caught the person myself the next day. I asked the officer why they don't have a car with a nice stereo sytem that the could drive up and down the strip, around neighborhoods and leave it sit and watch it. Then bust the people. He told me they couldn't do that because it's entrapment. That being said. I don't see the difference in Cops pretending to be drug dealers or drug buyers. Maybe someone here could explain that. Not that I'm complaining bust as many criminals as possible.

I've seen the cop shows where they have the remote controlled car. when somebody gets in and drives away (stealing it) it has the hidden camera in the dash showing their face, and then 10 seconds after they drive off with the car, it is remotely killed and the doors locked...BAM thier busted. The video is even used in court against them...should be the same situation with a fish house.

Maybe a guy would need to put a Wheel lock (boot)on the wheel house if it is left on the lake?

Yeah I have seen the same things on TV. Is it just a MN law where they can't do things like that. Because what I posted was what I was told from the Willmar Police Officer when I was 16....14 years ago. Like I said maybe the laws have changed. I was just wondering if somebody was a part time FMer and a full time lawyer. Maybe no one wants to admit to the lawyer part but they could say they asked their friend who is a lawyer.