Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Trout And Everything Else

16 posts in this topic

How's the bite going on grindstone this winter? Anyone catching any lakers or rainbows? Anything else biting? Is the ice over 30 inches?

I was out there about a month ago. At that time the ice was probably 12" thick. Caught quite a few small lakers, and two rainbows. Stayed busy all day, just didn't manage to catch anything big.

Josh

What depth were you at? Were they suspended? I was planning on using frozen ciscos on a tip up in hopes of a big laker or maybe even a pike. What were you catching the small trout on?

Sorry in the delay since last reply. At that time, I fished around 60-65 ft. If you don't mark any or catch any in a short time say 15-30 minutes, move.

Most of the fish I caught were on the bottom or within 10 feet of it. The rainbows were just under the ice. It's kinda cool cause you can see them swim underneath ya every now and again. Good luck!!!!

Josh

So the lake is syill active?

So the lake is still active?

Haven't really heard anything too recently, but there has been some nice rainbows coming out of there this winter. Seen three fish over 24", the largest one coming in just over 8lbs.

Looks like the weather might prevent me from going up there this weekend...there's always next year I guess. How far down from the surface can I expect to find the rainbows though? I fished grindstone through the ice once years ago and all I caught was a bunch of tiny perch and 1 smelt. Speaking of which, would that be the preferred bait for lakers?

I've been told that the bait of choice for lakers is shiners...I might be up there on Monday and will give a report.

I have gotten Lakers right on the bottom with shiners this year and Rainbows about 5-8 feet below the ice. Gonna hit it this Tuesday.

Going over to Grindstone this Sunday. Any reports, snow depth, access, fish depth ect. My first time fishing Grinstone. Fish a lot of Lake Trout north, but would like to try more for rainbows. Any input or reports would be appreciated. I will report back with my luck.

Thanks

I thought trout seson ended the 1st? is it different on grindstone?

Trout season ends on the 15th.

Well I never made it up to Grindstone today.....had things to do around the house before leaving for San Diego.....just in case anyone was waiting for a report from me. Is anyone else going up next weekend? I leave on Sunday and might be able to get out on Saturday and try for a laker or two. Also, there might be some plowed roads by then so it might be a little easier to get around.

I'll be way up at gunflint this weekend. I'd like to hit grindstone in the open water season though. Is it better in the spring or fall?

I will give a report after my Sunday outing. I figure I would start at the north end of the lake around that 120ft hole. Given the conditions, snowshoe, atv, or driving will determine how much area I can cover. I will probably bring along wax worms and shiners. Looking forward to fishing this lake. Thanks for your feedback.