Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Fishin in this??

8 posts in this topic

Anybody venture out and give it a whirl in this weather. I might sneak out on Sunday morning for a few. Be careful out there.

No pre-fishing for monday's tournament. tongue.gif

Nope. I hope this weather doesn't hinder our efforts on Monday. I would sure hate to see a repeat of the zumbro event.

Hello,...kinda new to this forum,...been watching it for a long while now,..and decided it was time to make a post,...I was wondering if any one has been out to foster areends with all last weeks snow,...I would like to take my 5 yr old son out there some time within the next week, and as I have only ice fished for the past few years,"mostly on foster" I have never really ran into this much snow!!!! and with the second round of snow that is expected for the rest of the week, I was just wondering if there is any extra equipment,"a shovel" or precations I should be taking. Would not want to risk losing my best fishing partner or souring the event for him in any way "trudging through as much snow as he is tall" lol, thanx for any advice you guys can give me!!

One mor thing,...is there any change to bait or pressentation I should use with this much snow cover on the ice?

Besides fosters you can try willow creek res. off the highway by the airport. I know the bite is good there. Can have some fun with your partner thats always a plus. Yes bring a shovel to get down to the ice. Alot of slush but ice ishould be alright. 9-12 inches at least. Jigging off the bottom works well with a waxie. You can shovel the snow the fish probally don't care you don't need to do anything special.

Welcome Hooked and thanks for getting signed up.

Jason makes a good point. If ya want keep your little guy busy then take him to the places where you get a lot of action like Willow. When my kids were small I'd keep the trips short, bring some snacks, and I always let them "play" with the minnows. wink.gif

I went to Fosters last night from 4:30 till 6:30 while waiting for my daughter to get off work. Snowed like crazy!

There is a layer of snow about a foot deep on top of a crust about an inch or two thick, on top of water. Some old holes are not froze over and buried under the snow. I stepped in one last night and even my size 13 went in up to my knee. Lucky, I just got a wet foot is all.

I caught and released two trout and missed a few others. Minnows were working good about two feet up off the bottom over 17 f.o.w.

Ice thickness in the Southern area is around 10-12".

Hooked, Welcome to HSO & FishingMinnesota.com

Late ice and early spring is my favorite time to fish Fosters and I'd consider the late ice season starting within a week or so. This snow won't affect the fishing all that much. You might find trout near the bottom, or right under the ice, but that's the case with or without snow. I'd say a minnow under a float a couple feet off the bottom would be a good bet.

Snow atop of ice makes water atop of ice which can be a situation. When you shovel off a fishing spot and drill a hole, you might find 3+" of water atop the ice. If the ice is safe, its nothing to be alarmed about, but it makes a mess.

If you have a flipover style shack and you find a bunch of slush/water atop the ice, I've found it works best to not even shovel the snow away but rather pack it down and fish on top of the snow.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Thanks for all the info and advice! I will Certainly post on how the trip went!!!! As for a wet foot, my lil guy learned all about the foot through a hole leason last year, lol, lucky for him and the trip, we were right there and his foot was in the water for less than a second, didn't even get wet! he does love playin with the minnows too! he actually can put his own minnow on the hook, he started that at about 3.5yrs old, and does a real good job at it too!! thanx again for all the info! best of luck to all of you!!! keep the lines tight and the rods bent!! grin.gif