• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Summer Dreaming (aaahh, I mean planning!)

My family and I have been fishing Lake Ida the 1st week of August every year for some 30 years out of the old Camp Omaha till it closed and love the lake. This year we have a cabin for the whole season, and as such I am dreaming up fishing tactics for the year. I have never fished the lake from Memorial day thru mid-July. Wondering where the fish are and best tactics are for catching them early summer. I fish for a little of everything, Walleye, Large and Smallmouth, and Crappie. Anyone willing to share some secrets? As you can tell, I'm a little excited about being there all summer! cool.gif

Ahhh ida..... that lake is full of LM, Ok what i do for lm is shallow, Find some shallow water with docks(everywhere) and throw power worms floating minnows and if deeper x-raps(caught 3 18 inchers with that there). Also from little ida to the main lake it drops off, try throwing some cranks on the drop offs

Crappie will prolly happen earlier but minnows outside of rushes is really good. put a bobber on about 3 feet up.

Although you didnt list it sunnies are awesome here. look for some weeds in 8-15 feet put a worm on and put it down. Look atyour fish finder for the depth. I think we landed 25 8" + in 10 minutes between 2 of us.

Hope you have an awesometime on ida as i will(relatives live their) Please share what happens

welcome to the forum ajr. I'm sure you'll get some great info here. You can use the search feature to find past threads about Ida. As you can tell from the above post, it is a favorite lake for many anglers. Search some of the past posts about Ida, and you'll have reading material to last you till ice-out!

good luck and good fishing

I feel your passion with Ida. I've been fortunate enough to have in-laws that have a place on the lake that allows me to spend many hours on the lake every year. I could probably write a book if I tried to explain my thoughts on fishing tactics for Ida but will try to keep things short.

Well lets start with my favorite, Walleyes!! Opener can be tough on Ida as it is big, deep and cold. As the water warms I concentrate on shoreline structure that is getting hit by wind. Usually next to (or inside) the developing weed line. I usually run with the "big 3" for bait come memorial weekend because it can vary from minnows, leeches, or crawlers early. I usually run these behind a live bait rig. Trolling the shoreline 3-6' at night can be productive as well. As mid/late summer sets in I'll start probing the various mid lake humps. Obviously first/last light are great times but fish can be caught all day long.

Largemouth bass can be found all over. Typically numbers are up shallow. Standard spinnerbait works great. If I was going after size I'd slip out to 12' FOW or so and use a rigged worm or some sort of plastic. You can actually pick up walleyes that are buried into the weeds with this tactic as well.

Northerns are all over as well. Troll or cast weed edges or over the tops of weed bed areas. A good one is located right in front of the old Camp Omaha outside the rushes. This is also a good spot for Sunfish.

Crappies are the most accessable in the spring time. Any protected bay can hold them. I actually spend a fair amount of time on opener chasing crappies.

Still have the Blue/Tan Lund ProV. Maybe see you on the water.

man this lake makes some exciting bass fishing, you can find 16"ers everywhere, hopefully i can go up to ida to spendtime with the grandparents and get some fishing in. also if you like lm early season you can catch them off the dock easiely. Alot of people say this lake doesnt have big bass, they are wrong, had a 22+ lm off the dock on, broke my line as i was going to get it.