Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
youngie22

crazy pond

7 posts in this topic

Last weekend I fished a 1-2 acre private pond near mille lacs; right next to another lake. Twenty feet from shore it was 15 feet deep. then it got weird... every time we moved every hole was different. many crazy changes move ten feet and the bottom would change 8- 15 feet. On the NW corner the LX-5 on 160 power it read just ove 100 feet... YES 100 feet. All in all, it is small, private, w/ very little pressure. we had very good succes on 9 to even an 11" sunny. Caught 3 crappies and it was a whopping 15 3/8" what a whopper!!! do you suppose a natural spring has made this crazy hole???

could it have been man made and at some point in history stocked with fish?

Did you actually verify the depth? What side of mille lacs and how close to mille lacs? May be an old mining site. MGS might have some info.

yes, depth was pretty well clarified. Land owner (son) said the marcum was true. NE corner; less than 5 miles. that should narrow it down to about a thousand holes around there. MGS?? any word? could it be a natural hole??

mn geologic survey. They might provide some info. nonetheless, enjoy fishing it. private lakes/ponds are rare finds and do provide some true trophy fishing

Yes I do agree, I love fishing smaller ponds and lakes in this area. Birch lake is kind of private which is in the same area. now the state has sold land, dividing the staet hunting land and cutting a 60' road going right to it. Next year I think it will have a public acces and very easily gotten to. I think it is a shame the state would do this. it was part of the fun to be able to take a ride on the four wheeler back into the woods a couple miles and then come upon a secluded lake in the middle of no where. I wish there were more of these gems around. (that I knew of)

I have a similar case just 3 south of Mille Lacs. The max. depth is only about 15 but the kicker is that about the only fish in the private lake is muskie. About 3/4 of the lake is owned by a camp I worked at a few years ago and on just about every cast boom a muskie. I fished it last summer but with no luck but I did find where some one had fished on the camps land illegally and cleaned two muskies well under the legal size. All the muskies were under 30" that we caught. The other 1/4 of the land is owned by a guy who uses it for duck hunting. Any winter is a potential winter kill for this lake though.