Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tyler Holm

Crickschop04's Monster Northern

11 posts in this topic

Awesome Fish Cricks

Here ya go! Congrats. It's a beauty. I love the picture.

nm_pike.jpg

Very nice! cool.gif

I had gone out with the idea that I was going to try and catch a pike so I grabbed the Abu baitcaster and "pool cue" and threw on a perch flavored chubby darter. Drilled 5 holes and fished them all for about 5 minutes apiece, cause I had heard that if there is pike in the area that they will come investigate, but no luck. Then I laid down the big rod for the pannie rod and sat about for an hour and fished with "smallieobsession" who just happened to be there too. All of a sudden "smallie" says I just marked something really big" so I grabbed the big stick and jigged for about 2 sec. and I could see it come off the bottom and it hit the chubby darter right away. Good fight, had "smallie" snap a couple of pics, and down the hole. She was in good shape when I let her go. The blood was actually mine as the second time I got her to the hole I wasn't going to risk not landing her. All we had was a stick to measure w/ but we figured about 34", and estimated about 15 lbs. She was a fatty! One of my goals for the season was to land a pike on the reel through the ice so I was pretty pumped up.

Nice camera work smallie.

awesome fish

Makes me want to head down to the river and search for some snakes

That thing is a pig! Awesome picture. I am very jealous.

Nice fish, I would sure love to get hooked up with one of those toothy critters through the ice some time, guess at this point it will have to wait until next winter.

How did he draw blood? Is it from grabbing behind the gills when he got to the top of the hole, or did he get a bite in?

I was panfishing up in Apple Valley and had about a 5 pounder on and couldn't figure out how I was going to get it out without him locking on to me, and wasn't sure if the gills would draw blood or not. Luckily the 2lbs test didn't last long.

Matti, that looks kinda small for a 15 pounder. Maybe it is the just the background that makes it look that way... Ha ha!

Smallie here, it was fun to see that sucker come through the hole. Like Cricks said, I was using my x67c in graph mode and all of a sudden the screen just lit up about 4ft above the bottom and clearly it was something big becuase it just filled the screen. No sooner did I say "Something big just went by..." and next thing I know I hear Cricks say "got it"...he did a nice job playing him out till he could get him turned up the whole an bamm....there's a nice gator laying on the ice. Couple quick pics and back down the hole she went. Nice Job Cricks and good to meet ya. See ya round.