• GUESTS

If You  want access  to member only forums on FM, You will need to Sign-in or  Sign-Up now .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member.

Bad News (New virus on the great lakes)

For those of you that like to fish the big big pond Lake Superior please take a look at this thread in the Duluth forums We dont need this and if you agree there is an online petition you can ad your name to here Petition I know there is more than just me that likes to go there so please check it out.

It has to do with the shipping industry and the practice of dumping ballast water from the Ocean, Seas and Great Lakes into Lake Superior. So far we have a list of exotics that have been introduced because of that practice. Lamprey which just about wiped out the Lake Trout, Gobbies, Ruffies, Zebra Mussels and Spiny Water Flies. Now theres a new threat, Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia, a water born Ebola if you will.

Just an update for those of you that get the outdoor news check out the article in this weeks addition. This can affect a lot of people and could affect allot more than Lake Superior. If you haven't put your name on the petition with the link above please do so if you agree that there needs to be some action taken to prevent this.

This is serious, I was talking to Duane from the DNR the other day and thier very concerned. The DNR has stopped transporting all fish/minnows/ect to inland lakes from hatcheries that conect to Lake Superior.

We must all be aware of whats in the waters we are boating in. Even if a waterbody is not listed as having some exotic it very well could have. Treat each lake / river as if it were infested and clean your boats properly. Unfortunatly it is probably only a matter of time before Vermilion gets some more unwanted exotics but the longer we can prolong it the greater chance they may find a way to stop or control it. Of the 180 exotics in the Great Lakes VHS sounds like the worst. On another note Duane said he found a piece of floating curly leaf pondweed on the west end. Currently the only bed of this exotic plant is located in Everett Bay. If anyone knows where this plant is growing other than Everett Bay please let the DNR know.

Come on Spring. smile.gif

So...is everyone taking a minute and at least signing the petition? I we all sit here on our hands and do nothing it will surely spread from where it is and possible to the inland lakes too. All it would take is someone bringing minnows from the Duluth area that were trapped somewhere like the St. Louis river to Vermilion and.....well you know the rest of that story.

Quote:

So...is everyone taking a minute and at least signing the petition? I we all sit here on our hands and do nothing it will surely spread from where it is and possible to the inland lakes too. All it would take is someone bringing minnows from the Duluth area that were trapped somewhere like the St. Louis river to Vermilion and.....well you know the rest of that story.

I believe the hands are still tucked under a lot of rumps. I have several post's about this in various forums with a total of about 1400 views and to date there is just a little over 100 names on the petition. It only takes a second guys and gals. Judging from the other post's everyone seems to agree that this is a serious problem that can affect more than just superior.

Please take the second to sign the petition. If you have decided to print the letter out and mail that separately then again thanks.