Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
island guy

ice thickness?

7 posts in this topic

Guess I may need to find a auger extension! Listening to a local radio station, there was a report of average thickness of 36" on many lakes!!?? What have you guys seen?

I walked out in fron of my place on S. Turtle on Tuesday - 26 inches.

I woukd not be surprised to find substantially thicker ice, however. If you have an auger extension, I would at least bring it and the wrench along.

went out on N. Turtle last weekeend and there was close to 3 1/2 ft of ice out there.

How late into the season will otter tail retain safe ice? I'd like to hit it in march for some perch. Anyone catching any small sturgeon?

Boy that is a hard one to answer, Going to depend on how much snow we get, the temps in the next couple weeks, and how much wind..... As it will open up along the shore lines

Hard to get a straight answer from a fisherman laugh.gif

pretty thick still anywhere you go.. I found the ice will flood pretty good after drilling a hole if you don't wait till the water settles before pushing the slush away.. I pushed the slush away right after and it flooded all around the hole like 3 inches and my feet we soaked.. caught some fish though....

Fished some last week. I had a tape measure with me, and most spots ran around 29-32 inches.