Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Slyster

HELP on WBL!

4 posts in this topic

Tomorrow a friend and I are going out to WBL.

This will be, no kidding, my FIRST time ice fising in my life!

ANY locations/lures for ANY species? I would SO appreciate it!

C&R only.. I just want to get out.

I guess very few of you are fishing WBL these days!... but we DID manage to get out Friday! I brought the kids with.. it was their first time ice fishing!... and guess what.. it was my own first time as well! SUCCESS... considering...!

We got out on Friday at around 6:00pm and this was at the beginning of this current winter storm... and it was SO windy.. estimate around 40 MPH gusts.. we even had the portable house sliding on the ice.... even with 2 adults and my 5 y/o girl inside! She got very scared when that happened... but I felt like an arctic explorer!

After we gave up with that.. I did manage to put my line in once for a few minutes and nabbed a 14" Northern.. West of the Ordway bar around 11'... on a small jig head with a small green/black plastic... My FIRST fish ever on ice.. PTL! Was a great time. But.. of course with the 5 and 7 y/o kids.. we didn't stay out long.. MAN was is cold! Thanks to Tom for the van and trying to setup te portable! smile.gif Was a great time.. the kids will never forget it... me neither! Our first time was really special!

Sounds like fun. I brought my almost 3 and almost 5 yr olds out yesterday (2/23). I came to fish WBL but was told the action was faster on Bald Eagle, so we went there. We caught about 15-18 crappies total. Not much size to them but we were able to take few home.

My wife thought I was nuts bringing the two "hunyucks" out by myself. I think she was right, but I got an extra hour and a half because I brought the portable DVD out for them to watch a movie while I stood out on the ice freezing my butt off pulling up their fish. It was fun though. I was even able to keep the portable gas grill going long enough to grill them some hotdogs. smile.gif

Sly, I have not been on the ice much on White Bear. I know if you go out from the beach, not Ramsey but the one on the other side there is some very nice structure and also deeper water. In the shallows you can usually find a gazzillion small perch or on occassion some nice panfish to keep the kids happy.

The deeper water will hold the crappie at dusk and the nice humps and structure can produce a nice dusk and evening eye bite.

Another option for your kids is to go out from the access on Owasso. Deep hole about a 100 yds from shore. Usually loaded with crappies, most will be 6" with the occassional 10" fish and a few smaller eyes. Good fun spot for kids.