Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Looking For More Than Lakers

11 posts in this topic

I'm going to Gunflint Lake in a couple weeks. I've never fished it in the winter. I've heard that everything but the lake trout are non existant in the winter time. Would I be wasting my time fishing for anything else (walleye, perch, tullibees, etc) or should I just stick with the lake trout?

its pretty tough to get anything else to bite...i'd stick to lakers.

Traveling that far from the cities you should just fish for lakers. You will have better luck on the trout. Or just go to Minnetonka. cool.gif

That's what I figured. Thanks for the tip. I'll let you know how I do.

You said you will be going in two weeks(from the 22nd)won't all inland seasons be closed for game fish that is? confused.gifc63

Gunflint is on the canadien border. Pike season is continuous and walleye is open until april.

Out of all the times I've been there in the winter I've never had the urge to fish for anything other then lakers.

So I tend to agree, its not every day your going to have the chance to fish lakers.

This is VERY true! And that is pretty much the only reason I'm going up there. I just want to know if I might have a chance at a few "bonus" fish while I'm there.

No

Lakers are bonus fish. laugh.gif

If your asking, could you maybe catch a walleye while fishing lake trout? Its possible but not probable.

I'll see what I can do. In my other post (night time trout) I asked about my chances, maybe to my surprise instead of an eel pout I'll get a walleye. Gunflint is supposed to be the best walleye lake in that area in the summer, where do they all go in the winter?