Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JBMasterAngler

Koronis or Clearwater?

16 posts in this topic

I'm having trouble deciding wether I want to fish Koronis or Clearwater this weekend. I've never been to either lake before. I'm mostly after perch and walleye, but will take whatever is biting. Anyone have suggestions as to which lake is better?

Koronis, but bring your umbrella grin.gif

I would vote for Koronis of the 2 mentioned. And by the way good luck fishing!

I think i will be heading to Clearwater myself, shorter drive, heard its gonna be bad weather.

I was on Clearwater this morning. We were fishing for crappies in the 50 foot hole and picked up 2 eyes. One about 19" and the other about 16". I was out in the same spot on Sunday and the same thing. The crappies were thick down there, but they wouldn't bite. Picked up 4 eyes Sunday night in the same spot. We never really fished for just walleyes, but they are down there! Best of luck.

Were there a lot of ppl around the hole? Ice still about 2.5 feet? I was either gonna try the 50 foot hole or another spot, never fished the hole before, any tips?

there is alot of guys pulling their houses off clearwater, ,, so those areas should have less people on them

There weren't as many people in the 50 foot hole area as there were earlier in the year. As for pulling their houses off, some people had some help with the wind the other night. There were at least a dozen houses that were blown over and blown across the lake. I would drill a lot of holes and start on the edges of the hole, then move towards the middle of the hole. You will read fish everywhere, but most will not bite. The eyes we picked up were anywhere from right on the bottom to about 10 feet off the bottom. We caught a few on Kastmasters and some on ice jigs with crappie minnows. The smaller the better! If you see a fish come up for your bait, keep raising it up until they bite and they will. Any other help, let me know, I will do my best. I don't feel like I'm giving up my hot spot as I won't be out there for eyes anymore this year.

I think I'm leaning towards Koronis. We'll see what happens.

Thanks for the help. One last question, i know where the hole is kinda, i know the direction but how far off shore is it. One guy told me where it was but he only told me where it was in a direction sense. Thanks for all your help.

I would say that it is about 3/4 of a mile from BJs. Your best bet is to look at a map or stop in at BJs and ask Bill. He'll usually let you know where the latest bites are taking place as well as exactly where the 50'er is. He had a plowed path to there, but with the snow gone for now, you can still see where the plowed road is.

I also pulled an 'eye out of the 50 footer earlier this year in 54 FOW. 17"er that bit on a Fat Boy tipped with Gulp at the 52ft mark. Wow! Anyway, the hole is right out in front of the island just past the weed point, probably 3/4 mile or so from BJ's pay access.

Was on Clearwater today only for a few hours, couldnt even get my house up to windy and to slick of ice. So i toughed it out on my bucket in the wind, got a handful of crappies, nothing worth keeping.

The snowstorm cancelled my trip. Now that the walleye season will be closed. Which would be the better lake to try for panfish? Are the tullibee worth an effort on koronis?

I have had good luck with the pannies on clearwater never tried koronis for them though

Both are good for pannies, but I've always had better luck on Clearwater myself.