Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anchor man

Tonka-Browns/Wayzata Crappies?

7 posts in this topic

Heading out tomorrow, is there a general depth/structure the crappies are on now in Browns or Wayzata?

Thanks

I've been having good success in the 30-35 range within 40-50 ft holes. Havn't been out since this weekend but I would guess they are still there. Just relate those depths with shallow structures around them and you will find them. The only thing is the bigger ones like to feed around sunset, and its just a rush, so be prepared. Crappie minnow/head have been the success go to bait so far. I havn't really worked plastics on tonka yet. Let us know how you do!

Dkoy nailed it for you. Plastics have been working well. Ratso, Shrimpo, Little Atom nuggies. Start with horizontal jigs and adjust from there. With that wind etc last night vertical jigs were the ticket as the bite was very light. Don't forget to set out a second rod with plain hook and minnow. Some nights the jigging action brings them in but the plain hook does most of the catching.

thanks Dkoy and Mark, one last question. when you say "hole" is it typically a larger expanse of water that hits 40-50ft, or more of a small secluded hole with shallower areas.

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but I usually look for deep pockets on its own, deep meaning 30-50ft. Then work from there towards shallow end. Just pop 15-30holes in one way/direction and drill from deep to shallow, but with structure(inside curve or point) and you will find them. That would be easiest way. And Mark is right, I've had great success with horizontal lures, glow small spoons is what I have been usuing and they mostly attract the bigger ones. During feed time they will come and smack it in a heart beat! With a flasher you can tell as soon as you see your lure at 10-15ft they will come off the bottom or somewhere off the side and come straight to where you bait is located. Just get ready for that hard tug they give you! Good luck! Don't forget to move your transducer cord, those slabs can't stop tangling in them. Oh, and stay away from crowds. This past weekend I was in a good spot when 2 trucks pulled to ask if i was catching anything. Next thing they get out with 6-7 guys. They were popping holes all over around me and making a rukus by driving back and forth from portable to portable. My flasher went blank as soon as they came.... I had to move, but did better elsewhere. I guess this is common in the metro mad.gif

Dkoy, I guess what I was saying is that I know the NE side of Wayzata Bay hits 50ft. Would you consider the whole NE side a hole, or are you being more specific to smaller isolated depth changes. Sounds like you're meaning the smaller isolated spots.

Thanks

Your best bet is to find a 30ft+ hole completely surrounded by water less than 10ft. The closer you can get to this complete circle ideal the better. These areas tend to corral the crappies. There are also crappies suspending in the main basins but you will need to be very mobile to get on and stay on these fish. My approach is to drill a lot of holes until I mark fish suspending at 15ft or so. Those are almost always crappies or big blue gills. Take a look at a map of Phelps bay. The western basin is where most people fish for crappies. The eastern basin is a little more open and therefor harder to consisently stay on fish. But they are there.