Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carp King

East metro pout lakes?

13 posts in this topic

I was wondering if any one can point to an east metro Pout lake. I've never caught one but I would love to add it to my list.

I could be wrong, but I think Eelpout only live in bigger lakes. I dont think any in the metro are large enough.

closest I know of would be Mille Lacs

Yep, your only gonna find them on the big bodies of water up north. Mille Lacs and Leech lake are your best bets.

Thanks guys I just thought depth might play a more significant role maybe something like Lake Elmo. Or the Croix and Miss. might hold a few?

Actually I'd say Lake of The Woods is the BEST Bet.

Ha, thats really close to the metro despy hahaha

So have you ben getting some pouts this year?

The Croix and Mississippi do contain a small population of Burbot. Apparently Lake Pepin used to have a large quantity, and commercial fishermen caught them regularly. Pollution of the river has pretty much put an end to the Burbot now in Pepin. I've caught juvenile Burbot near Marine on St. Croix near the mouth of a small creek, and heard of adults being caught in this area during open water.

It's going to be very tough to run into a Burbot around the metro. If you really want to catch one for your life-list, it's worth a trip up to Lake Superior and it's frozen tributaries, or a known Burbot producer like Leech or Mille Lacs. Good luck. ~hogsucker

Cyb

spent Pres Day weekend with the wife and kids in a sleeper on MyrMar Flat

we caught pout from sunset 'til sunrise and one pout at noon

MmmmMMMM sounds fun! Enjoy your pout frys! grin.gif

You can get fresh water Cod, Burbot, Lawyers, Ling, EelPout, Slimers, Misi, whatever you want to call them in the Mississippi and just about any river that connects to the upper Mississippi. I even caught one out of Rice Creek years ago.

I've always got them toward evening, or after dark and always on live bait, while fishing walleyes. I have never gotten a big one out of the rivers, maybe a little bigger then a fiddler catfish.

If you are really intent on catching one, take the advice of others in this forum and take a day trip up to the northern part of Mille Lacs. Along with Eels, you might be able to get into some nice perch and if you go before tomorrow (Hee, hee) grin.gif maybe walleyes also.

Cyber...Is that little yellow boat in your avatar an inflatable? If so where did you get it?

This is crazy! The red river of the north is the only river I have ever heard of where people ever caught eel pout. I'm getting eel pout fever all of a sudden.