Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chaffmj

How to cook lake trout

9 posts in this topic

Well you told me where to catch lake trout now tell me how you like to cook them.

Thanks,

Chaff

Look back a few pages there is some post on this.

Chaff, there is also some threads in the recipe forum worth a look.

Thanks Skippers Kid and Cheffrey!

One of the easiest and quickest ways is to sprinkle the fillets with lemon pepper and grill them (or broil) for a short while (5-10 mins med heat depending on thickness). They are done when the muscle separates easily with a fork in the thickest portion. I recommend leaving the skin on for grilling and taking the skin off for broiling. The skin is easy to remove from grilled fish, not so for broiled.

If I wasn't too lazy to type it all, I'd make the joke about cooking them on a board over a fire, then tossing the fish and eating the board:) I'm not a big fan of lakers, eating wise, but they're fun to catch.

The key is not to cook them for too long. Five to ten minutes tops. Fresh lean lake trout is a delicacy.

Inland lake trout are some of the tastiest lake fish available.

You can pan fry them like you would a walleye - on the bigger fillets slice the fillets thin enough so they cook evenly.

You can cut off the head and tail, gut them out, put them in foil and bake them alongside the campfire. (Add whatever seasonings you like)

You can fillet and skin them, cut the fillet into serving-size portions and then put them in a sealed foil pouch for grilling over the campfire or on the bbq grill.

They are excellent smoked - probably my favorite smoked fish.

Some of the seasonings I have used in the foil include: onions, garlic, green pepper, lemon (slices, juice, lemon pepper), butter, bacon, salt and pepper, Mrs. Dash, paprika..... Experiment a bit, and find what you like.