Guests - If You want access to member only forums on FM. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on Fishing Minnesota.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Orlip

Bad news

12 posts in this topic

For those of you that like to fish the big big pond Lake Superior please take a look at this thread in the Duluth forumsWe Don't need this and if you agree there is an online petition you can ad your name to here Petition I know there is more than just me that likes to go there and so far there is hardly no one from the metro on there so please check it out.

It has to do with the shipping industry and the practice of dumping ballast water from the Ocean, Seas and Great Lakes into Lake Superior. So far we have a list of exotics that have been introduced because of that practice. Lamprey which just about wiped out the Lake Trout, Gobbies, Ruffies, Zebra Mussels and Spiny Water Flies. Now theres a new threat, Viral Hemorrhagic Septicemia, a water born Ebola if you will

I don't even fish Superior, but I know that this will eventually affect all of us. Thanks Orlip, I just sent a letter to my representatives.

Your right it will eventually affect us all. If livewells and so forth are not cleaned properly who knows were it will show up next.

Ditto:

I just sent off to Coleman, Klobuchar and T-Paw.

We definetely dont want this to get any worse! or closer for that matter.

Just an update for those of you that get the outdoor news check out the article in this weeks addition. This can affect a lot of people and could affect allot more than Lake Superior. If you haven't put your name on the petition with the link above please do so if you agree that there needs to be some action taken to prevent this.

TTT

Just want to bring this to the top so it is within reach of anyone that has not seen it.

Never heard of it until a week ago at a Muskies Inc Duluth chapter. They are going to have a DNR officer, next months meeting to get into the details. I heard that they could put in a system for 20 thousand on the tanker ships. It's nothing, considering that it costs 5 million to build them ships.

Quote:

Never heard of it until a week ago at a Muskies Inc Duluth chapter. They are going to have a DNR officer, next months meeting to get into the details. I heard that they could put in a system for 20 thousand on the tanker ships. It's nothing, considering that it costs 5 million to build them ships.

Thats right there is something that can be done. I also dont think people realize that this can affect alot more than just the Lake Superior. If livewells and such are not treated properly it could end up in your own fishing hole. I cant believe that there is over 1400 views on this thread yet only 122 signatures on the petition? frown.gif

unfortunately internet petitions are not effective.

Any legitimate organization that receives the result of an internet petition will, in all likelihood, ignore it. As they should. It's much too easy to fabricate, miscollect or misrepresent data collected this way. Even for legitimate internet petitions, "voter fraud" is both rampant, and difficult to control. Any recipient of an internet petitions that "gets" this will, most likely, thank the providers of the information, and then throw the results away.

Why internet petitions are a bad idea

I guess I should have pointed this out earlier that if you click on the the post "We dont need this" above there is also a pre written letter. Feel free to copy it and send to your representatives. I have also read your link and I think if you looked at this petition you will see there is no email address's, everyone is providing there home address.

That being said what do suggest? I have sent letters to my representatives before and received the same response you indicate. Thanked me and I am sure he tosed the letter away. I did not ever think I would get a personal phone call from them.

Waterfowl will spread this too by simply flying from one watershed to another! mad.gifc63